Lots And Lots Of Dragees

Decorating By cmccann43 Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 2:57am by gbbaker

cmccann43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmccann43 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have to do a wedding cake next month and around the base of each tier I have to put lots and lots of dragees of all sizes. What is the easiest way to do this? Is there some trick to it? The cake will be buttercream. Here is a picture similar to what I will have to do. Any tips from the experts????
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1363524

6 replies
bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:32am
post #2 of 7

I would think you'd just push them into the bc wherever you want them..

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:49am
post #3 of 7

I use a very small tip and put a tiny dot of fresh buttercream on the crusted buttercream. I pipe some then fill them in...makes it easier to see where you want to place them. HTH

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:51am
post #4 of 7

hold the cake with one hand over a bowl of the pearls, use your other hand to scoop up a few in your fingers and press them in. The excess will fall away, back into the bowl. Continue all around all the tiers. Then I would add them one at a time to fill in so it's all in a uniform line.

Time consuming, but pretty!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:52am
post #5 of 7

I am assuming that the draggees are going to be where the pearls on that cake were. What sizes are you making? The reason I asked is this. My suggestion was going to be to find a container that was at least 4"or bigger than the circumference of the cake layer and hold the layer over that container and just put a handful of draggees in your hand and with your palm put them on the bottom of each layer that way. Around and around until you have them like you want them. Or you might try putting a couple of rows around the top of the part of each layer that you are wanting to cover and then do the rest of them in a quicker fashion like I suggested. The container under the cake would hopefully prevent dragees being everywhere for months and months afterwards. Best wishes. I saw a video of this being done, but do not remember who it was doing it. It is going to be time consuming no matter which way you do it because you are going to still have spots that you need to fill in even if you do it the faster way and dragees have a way of getting away from you easily even if you have everything planned well.

cmccann43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmccann43 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #6 of 7

Ok. Thank you everyone! I was hoping there was an easier way to do this, but I can see it's just going to take time. icon_eek.gif Thank you all for the suggestions!

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:57am
post #7 of 7

If it's on fondant, I paint on some gum arabic and put the dragees on, press a bit and don't try to do a lot at one time they will move around. I did them on the cake around the top in various sizes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%