Help...sticky Fondant!!

Baking By vickilou88 Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 9:08am by vickilou88

vickilou88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickilou88 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 5

Really confused. I am making my fondant decorations a day in advance to leave them to dry. They do, but as soon as I put them onto my (buttercream) cupcakes they start to look sticky. Does anyone know why? Or what I can do to prevent this happening.

Thanks x

4 replies
thehag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thehag Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:12am
post #2 of 5

Is your buttercream runny? What do you mean by "looks sticky". Can you post a picture?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 5

I, too, am confused, by what you mean by "looks sticky" ? Not sure what to tell you. If it was just sticky to work with preparing it for putting on your cake I would suggest adding a little more powdered sugar and/or cornstarch depending on how sticky it is, but that may not be the problem. if it is that it becomes sticky on the outside after putting your fondant on the cake I have no clue. Best wishes. Hopefully some of the long time pros on here can answer and we can both learn. I have never had that problem myself.
I just had this thought:
You are putting the fondant on a totally thawed out cake aren't you? or one that has never been frozen. if your cake is not thawed out yet the condensation may be appearing on the outside of your fondant and you just need to wait until the cake is completely thawed out and let it sit awhile. They tell me that if you leave it alone that it will right itself again and all will be well.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:04am
post #4 of 5

Are you covering your cupcakes after decorating??
That happens to me when I put my cupcakes in a plastic hinged container. I either keep them uncovered, or put them in a box... Nothing plastic

HTH

vickilou88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickilou88 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 9:08am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all your comments.
By sticky I mean it looks kind of sweaty (like how fondant goes in hot weather).
My cakes are never frozen but baked the day before decorating. I keep the undecorated cakes in an airtight container overnight and once decorated, they go in a cupcake box (cardboard).
Maybe I will try and decorate on the same day and see what happens.

xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%