Trimming Square Cake...help!

Decorating By sarbwah Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 8:04pm by ConfectionsCC

sarbwah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarbwah Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 4

I'm having a heck of a time with square cakes. The pans I have are great, but the cake edges are never sharply square. So then I try to trim them, but, well, it doesn't go as planned.

I'm chilling the cake overnight, but I wonder if I should freeze it before I start trying to trim it? I end up with a bit of crumbling and even chilled the knife seems to butcher it. I'm using a serrated knife, btw.

Are there any tricks or tips any of you might be willing to impart, that have made trimming/cutting edges off of cakes easier for you? At the rate I'm going, I am going to have a pretty poor box cake for next weekend icon_smile.gif

Also, I have been told that using buttercream or ganache you can build up to nice square edges but I have tried crumbcoating and then coming back to fill in and build up, and the effect is that I end up making a mess of it.

So I feel like getting a nice square to start with, then doing a nice even ganache is what will help me be able to square my fondant too. I know how to get sharp edges with fondant. Just not what is underneath icon_smile.gif

3 replies
carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 4

This is not an instant fix but could be something helpful in the future. I saw this information posted on another thread and have not ordered it myself but it is on my wishlist icon_smile.gif

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/product/Buttercream-DVD/

This is a DVD you can purchase that teaches you how to work with buttercream and achieve a sharp edge.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 4

What kind of pan are you using? When I first started I was using wilton pans, but someone on here recommended magic line pans and I love them for it!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 4

The type of pans you are using is almost irrelevant to the sharp edges question. I have used several types of pans, non stick coatings with slanted edges, up to professional pans. You need to learn to work with the buttercream to hide the cake anyways. The cake isn't what is making the buttercream smooth with sharp corners! Someone else posted a link to the BC DVD by Sugarshack...GET THIS IF YOU WANT PERFECT BUTTERCREAM! I promise worth EVERY PENNY. They are very high quality tutorials, she walks you through the entire process and doesn't speed up or skip over anything! There are no instant fixes, it takes time to master and having the right tools and teachers makes a huge difference!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%