Freezing Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By mandysue Updated 19 Dec 2013 , 4:08am by cakelove2105

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 11

I made a fondant-covered armadillo for the local production of Steel Magnolias. The show runs this weekend and next, and then they'd like to eat it. The lady at the theater wants to freeze it in between, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Any tips?

10 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 11

Box cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil. Put wrapped box in garbage bag. Place in freezer.

24 hrs. before serving, place completely boxed & wrapped cake in refrigerator. Several hours before serving, place boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. Immediately before display & serving, remove cake from wrapping & box. Eat cake.

This is exactly how these cakes were handled. They were frozen for 2 weeks before serving:

Rae

barbspies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbspies Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 11

Was the stencil already on it? Very pretty cake.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 11

Actually, those are ruby red fondant cut outs put into a damask pattern--and YES, they were on the cake before freezing.

No sweating & no oozing after defrosting, either.

Rae

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 11

Wow! Good to know that red can go through all of that and STILL not bleed/sweat onto your white fondant. I've read over and over again you can't freeze fondant covered cakes...you proved them wrong! thumbs_up.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you Blakescakes for the info on how to care for and store fondant covered cakes w/o mishap. Appreciate it a bunch. will save me time in the future. God bless.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly_36

Wow! Good to know that red can go through all of that and STILL not bleed/sweat onto your white fondant. I've read over and over again you can't freeze fondant covered cakes...you proved them wrong! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks!

The key is to following the directions EXACTLY.

If the cold cake never gets hit with warmer/humid air, there's no condensation and, therefore, no sweating. No sweating=no dripping.

I had a seasoned baker tell me that it wouldn't work, but the client followed my instructions to the T and this was the result. She also said that they tasted fresh baked and were delicious.

Rae

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 11

Printed out directions and into my cake binder it goes. I haven't had a reason to do this but you can never be too prepared, right?

Thanks for the great info! I love CC and all the tips and tricks I've learned here.

punkietta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkietta Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 11

Hello,

Cake Newbie - ish.  I am making my cousin's wedding cake to take to GA from FL (about a 6 hour drive).  My family is going to drive me up a wall.  I have read BlakesCakes suggestions for doing this over and over again, and I am confident.  After freezing, we need to immediately dry ice it in a cooler in the vehicle with insulation, and leave the car running whenever we stop.  Now the hiccup.  They informed me that there is no refrigerator to put this in when we get there.  So we drive up the night before, fridge is available at 7am, dry ice claims to make it for 24 hours if properly handled.  Can this work for a cake covered in fondant, and frozen the week before?  I read that the goal is not to expose it to warm air, but its Florida/Georgia first week of October.  Please help if you can.

-Taunya

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 11

Listen to BlakesCakes - - I followed her instructions exactly.  Made a bc cake and a fondant cake and froze them both.  Put them in a cooler with dry ice and drove 23 hours from Texas to California.  Served the fondant cake the next day after the wedding and the bc cake 5 days later at graduation.  They were both perfect and tasted as though they were just made.  The dry ice will keep it just fine until the fridge is available.  No worries! ;-D

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 4:08am
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakesCakes 

Box cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil. Put wrapped box in garbage bag. Place in freezer.

24 hrs. before serving, place completely boxed & wrapped cake in refrigerator. Several hours before serving, place boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. Immediately before display & serving, remove cake from wrapping & box. Eat cake.

This is exactly how these cakes were handled. They were frozen for 2 weeks before serving:

Rae

I find this information very useful, thanks a lot. Question, can I ice it and/or cover it with fondant before storing in in the freezer? thank you :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%