Always Getting Complaints On My Buttercream

Baking By Lovelyladylibra Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm by imagenthatnj

Lovelyladylibra Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

I'm always being told that my buttercream is too sweet. Ive tried adding salt to shimmer down the tatse and still. Ive tried a few different recipes and still the same thing. I'm in the Bronx and everyone over here is used to the regular bakery's frosting or Bj's and Costco type of cakes..... What should I do. I don't want people to not eat the frosting.

7 replies
carmijok Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

What's your recipe?

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 8

I love my recipe. Well prob not MY recipe but a friend shared it with me. It's probably the same as some you've tried but maybe not.

1 Cup crisco
1 cup butter - salted
1 cap clear vanilla
3/4 cap almond ext
2 caps butter flav
2 lbs c&h powedered sugar
5-6 T milk or heavy cream (cream the best YUM )

Everyone here loves the taste. Not as sweet as others I've tried.
hope it helps.

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 8

I would try and find a recipe that isn't so sweet and gritty.Maybe a IMBC or SMBC recipe...

Lovelyladylibra Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 8

Ive been using indydebs crisco based buttercream

auntginn Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 8

I would play around with different recipes until I found one that people enjoy. EVery time I try a new recipe I get people to try it out and answer questions on a score card. Works great for me.

I have used this basic recipe for my buttercream, but can add things like cream cheese to change the taste or fill the need of my orders.

Equal parts of shortening & butter
Flavorings of my choice (vanilla, almond, butter, etc)
Small amount of Liguid (milk, cream, coffee flavors)
CHOCOLATE (either white or dark depending on the use)
Salt to taste
PS (use 10x's if you can get it)

Cream everything together except for ps, until it is nice and fluffy
Slowly add ps 1/4c at a time beating at each interval until well blended.

Lovelyladylibra Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 8

I don't have a stand mixer. Would I be able to make a smbc with the hand mixer? It has a whip attachment.

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, you would be able to make SMBC with a hand mixer.. My boyfriend's mother has made it. Works fine.

Lovelyladylibra, I only make IMBC, but if I ever want a different buttercream, this is the one I'm going to make. Haven't made it, but it sounds perfectly good in that it gets salt added, it's made with butter (I don't like shortening) and it has a bit of lemon juice and milk. Maybe you'll like it. It comes from a very good source.

Quote by @%username% on %date%