How Would You Carve This?

Decorating By pj22 Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 1:02am by pj22

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone....

I have an order for this cake: http://www.cakes.com/cakes/signature-dora--diego-safari-party-117/

How do I construct this? I am guessing:

2 - 9x13 cakes on the bottom
1 - 9x13 cake on the right carved to resemble the hill

This does not look airbrushed right? I am going to use Bettercreme or Pastry Pride and color it green.

How do I make the trees?? The customer is going to put the Dora toys on the cake so I don't have to worry about that.

I really appreciate your help... thanks!!

13 replies
pj22 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 14

And how many people will this serve approx.??

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 14

I'd use a large pretzel stick for the trunk; a cake pop or gumpaste ball and use your leaf tip to cover. HTH

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 14

I'd use a large pretzel stick for the trunk; a cake pop or gumpaste ball and use your leaf tip to cover. HTH

pj22 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks! good idea...how about the hill?? And how many servings??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 14

I would use whatever size base sheet cake you need - could be 9x13 or 12x16 or 12x18; then for the right side of the cake (hill) I'd make a 12x8, shapping it for the hill and using what you cut off to make the rest of that side higher.
It doesnt matter if it's airbrushed or not - you can use green icing.
For the trees, use melted choco to create them. Still can use a pretzel rod as the trunk, then pour choco on/around it and let dry. OR cut fondant out and pipe leaves on it. The pretzel will help it stand when you push it into the cake. If using fondant, attach a sucker stick or two to help it to stand, just make sure you leave about 2" for sticking it in the cake.

pj22 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:15am
post #7 of 14

Thank you kakeladi! Thanks for the great ideas!!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:36am
post #8 of 14

That is a kit by Decopac. If you google decopac and dora, that comes up. They also have specific instructions on baking and carving.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:22am
post #9 of 14

Pj22; this would be my suggestion and only if you want the hill that steep. start out with your 3 - 9 x 13's. 2 on the bottom flat and then I would cut the one 9 x 13 in half crosswise and lay them on top of each other and put them on the right side of the cake and then carve the hill. You will have a steeper hill that way. I do not know if you freeze your cakes especially when you have to carve them, but I do and it helps. I noticed that this cake was too perfect a slant cut for the hill. I would see if I could get a more natural looking hill by bevelling the top edge of the cake that is to be the hill and cut it a little more rounded like a natural hilll would be since you have two layers on the bottom left side of the cake you have some depth there to work with also. To me the hill on that cake would be perfect if you were wanting to create a sledding scene, but it just looks too stark for the scene that is on it in my opinion. Best wishes. If you can put a picture on here of your cake. Julie

pj22 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 14

OMGGG.. you guys are awesome!!! Thank you so much for your comments! I found this! http://www.decopac.com/resources/Additional%20Info/DoraDiegoSafariCut.pdf The complete instructions for carving and assembly!! Thanks matthewkyrankelly!!

I so apprecate your detailed instructions jules!! I will freeze before carving and also put a pic on here once I do the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

pj22 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 14

Also, I charge $3.25 per serving for carved cakes. Does that sound about right for this cake? For 40 people, it would come out to $130. I am thinking it's kinda expensive?? What do you guys think?

pj22 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 14

Anyone? I quoted $130 for the cake, serving 40 people and haven't heard back... did I overcharge? Thanks for any advice!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 14

I think the price sounds fine-actually may be a little on the low side for a carved cake.

pj22 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:02am
post #14 of 14

Thank you Annie!! Let's see if I hear back from them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%