Healthier Halloween Treats???

Lounge By kel58 Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 1:58pm by kel58

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 7

My son's kindergarten class is having a Halloween party and I have been asked to send a treat. They have 5 parties a year and divided the class up so everyone brings food once. I was looking forward to sending some super cute cupcakes but the note that came home asks that they be healthy snacks or using reduced sugar recipes. I guess I can't blame the teacher for not wanting to deal with 20 hyper children. Does anyone have any great recipes for a healthy treat? I still want it to be halloween themed if possible. A lot of my "go-to" easy recipes sites are still Thanksgiving recipes (its thanksgiving weekend here in Canada).

Thanks in advance
Kelly

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 7

Well probably the healthiest is Rice crisy treats since they are made from marshmellow and are less fat etc than cake..cut the shapes out with a cookie cutter and drizzle icing on them.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 7

Why not send some carrot sticks that look like fingers? Just put a dab of cream cheese on the end and a sliced almond (the thin sliced ones that can look all craggy) then put them sticking up in a vegetable dip. Here's the website that shows it and also has some cute 'apple bites'...sliced apples that have craggy almond 'teeth'.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/carrot-finger-food-683529/

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

carmijok...I don't know about in the US but we are not allowed to send any kind of nut products to the school so I think a almond sliver may be a No No....LOL

Our school doesn't even allow homemade baked goods so they get no parties what so ever..If we want to send stuff it has to be little loot bags with pencils/erasers etc for the kids..How boring.... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

There are a ton of super cute Halloween-themed canapes and hors d'oeuvres that can be done and are wholesome, good foods. Just use Google!

Also, sugar does not cause hyperactivity in children. Diabetes and obesity, yes, but hyperactivity, no. I can certainly understand why teachers are asking parents for healthier snacks. Our kids' generations are expected to have shorter life spans than our grandparents' generations because of the disgusting Frankenfoods we feed our children. It's pretty sad.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 7

Our favorite Halloween goody is Witches Brew. It's just a snack mix with fun names for the different foods....popcorn is rat brains, raisins are shriveled spiders, pretzels are baked skeleton bones, etc...and I add a little candy in there..candy corn is witch fingernails and m&m's are troll belly buttons. I usually bag it individually and add a cute little recipe card. If you do a google search you can find other ideas for your brew as well.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Kiddiekakes- I am also in Canada and Almonds are a definite no no. I have googled but didn't love any of the ideas. I think I might ask the teacher about making cake pops. I have never made them before so it would be a good reason to give them a shot. Just send one per kid. My other thought was bread sticks shapped like bones, jello cut with halloween cutters (might be harder to serve to kiddies), or some sort or a fruit kabob. I figure all year they really stress balanced lunches so, for the few parties they have, a little treat couldn't hurt.
My son has been talking about taking cake to school for his birthday since the summer. I guess i'd better ask his teacher about that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%