Pumpkin Pies..do I Bake The Shells First?

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 12:57am by sewsugarqueen

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:03am
post #1 of 5

It is Thankgiving weekend here in Canada and I've been asked to bring Pumpkin pies to my BIL's for dinner...I don't bake alot of pies and can't remeber if I bake the pie shells first or pour the pumpkin pie mixture into the raw dough shell and then bake?? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Thanks icon_wink.gif

4 replies
cheatize Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:06am
post #2 of 5

I do not bake them first. I pour in the mixture and put it in the oven.

costumeczar Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:08am
post #3 of 5

You can bake it for about 10-15 minutes at 400, then put the custard in it and bake it for the rest of the time at the lower temp. Is it 350 degrees for a custard pie? Can't remember, but now I want pumpkin pie :9

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:09am
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys..I so appreciate it...I feel so stupid...but hey...Don't do pies...LOL

sewsugarqueen Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:57am
post #5 of 5

Because the pumpkin pie filling is so wet it is recommended to prebake the pie shell about 8 minutes ( or partly baked) This prevents the bottom from coming out soggy. Well I see you live slightly higher altitude so maybe baking directly into raw pie shell works in the higher drier climate. It's very humid here in the Banana belt of Canada so I find partial baking helps my tart and pie shells for custard,sugar pie, pumpkin etc.

Happy Thanksgiving from us Canucks!!!!
ps if you really want to try a piece of heaven try making a pumpkin cheesecake next time....yum

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%