Fondant Help Needed!!!! Please!!!

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 8:49am by diamonds-and-rust

sjbeatty8 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 12:47am
post #1 of 15

Im having major fondant cracking issues all the sudden and I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have had the occasional crack before but recently every cake I make cracks.

Here is my process... can someone tell me a trick or a tip that might help this?

I bake and let rest... then I fill and frost and let sit at room temp over night or at least several hours (I dont have a fridge that would fit the cakes).

I roll my fondant on a sil mat with minimal powdered sugar and cover.

After all cakes are covered I dowel and then stack and decorate. Usually later that day or the next day (delivery day) there are cracks.

Today's cake cracked and only had a small cupcake sitting on top off the tier that cracked so it wasnt a weight issue.

Please someone tell me what I can change to help this issue.

Thank you

14 replies
auntginn Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 12:56am
post #2 of 15

My fondant used to do that as well. Then I learned on here that ps dries the fondant and that causes the cracking. Instead use shortening to spread the fondant. I warm my fondant, knead it, coat it a little with the shortening and place it between my 2 mats. It spreads out very nicely this way as well. Much smoother to work with, never dries out. The cracks have all but stopped.

HTH, good luck!!

cheatize Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:09am
post #3 of 15

What type of fondant are you using? How fresh is it?

What's the weather been like lately?

sjbeatty8 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:17am
post #4 of 15
Originally Posted by cheatize

What type of fondant are you using? How fresh is it?

What's the weather been like lately?

Its Satin Ice and its a new bucket... They are never older then a month or so and always kept air tight.

The weather in the summer is high 70's-low 80's, but the house is always kept at 75 or lower.

cabecakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 15

I make my own MMF, but I also roll my fondant out between two mats lightly coated with shortening. You would be surprised at the difference.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:48am
post #6 of 15

I had cracking issues 2X in the last 2 months with Satin Ice and I've read about this issue many times recently. My cakes had NOTHING on top of them when they cracked icon_confused.gif Prior to this, I didn't have this problem.

I know that SI adds more gums than some other makers and I think that may be in response to removing the trans fats.

I have no issue needing to modify it to make it a bit softer and to prevent cracking because I like the price point and taste, so from now on, I'll be kneading in 1/3 FondX or Fondarific.

ajwonka Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:56am
post #7 of 15

I bought one bucket of SI & have fought it every time! I'm going back to mmf and roll on my mat with shortening!

rlowry03 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #8 of 15

What kind of mats do you use to roll fondant between? I'm interested in this 2 mat method.

ReneeFLL Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:41am
post #9 of 15

"The Mat" is from a company called Sweetwise dot com. Look at their website and you will see it there.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:44am
post #10 of 15

I have "The Mat" and haven't had much luck with it unfortunately. I wind up having to use shortening and ps with it and I thought the point of using the mat was not having to do this.....I really want to love this product but I'm ready to toss it icon_sad.gif

Do you have any tips to make it more user-friendly?

Thank you!

auntginn Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 5:15am
post #11 of 15

The "Mat" is supposed to be cured with shortening prior to use. diamonds-and-rust I don't know what kind of fondant you are using. Homemade fondant does not have nearly as much shortening in in as do the pre-made, store bought ones do, which would make the difference.

Before I got the mat, I used heavy plastic made for tablecloths. Of course I learned they were not food grade and therefore got the Mat. Both systems have worked great for me. I grease my fondant a little prior to rolling out, when I'm ready I remove one mat, turn the mat over, fondant side down, onto the cake and peel the mat right off.

Since I have used this method there is no need to use ps, so my fondant does not dry out. HTH

diamonds-and-rust Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:18am
post #12 of 15

So you actually have 2 mats then? That might make it easier. And yes, I use homemade mmf.....I am just a hobby baker and never charge anyone for the cakes I make, so I cut my costs by making the fondant myself. I didn't know that the mat is not so great for mmf....wish I would have known that before I purchased it. At least it is very inexpensive. I might just go ahead and order another one and try your method. I really really want to get this to work because it is food safe. I used to use the vinyl from Walmart and I had no problems with it but since I learned its not foodsafe I will not be using it again. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

auntginn Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:46am
post #13 of 15

@ diamonds-and-rust, I make my own fondant more often than not. Primarily because I like the taste so.. much more. When making the fondant, I generously grease all utensils and bowls with shortening, then rub my hands with it about 2-3 times in the kneading process, so all in all I would say my fondant gets about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of shortening in the recipe. I have not read anywhere, where it calls for shortening but I have noticed it makes my fondant more pliable, spreads easier and requires no ps.

Of course I do use 2 mats, the fondant is sandwiched between the Mats.

sweettreat101 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:46am
post #14 of 15

I have the Sweetwise mat and love it. I didn't care for it at first because my fondant would stick. I must of applied to much shortening when I seasoned it. I wiped the mat well and it works like a charm. I to have had problems with Satin Ice so I try to avoid buying their fondant. I purchased Fondx for a large nine tier cake that I made in June and it was awesome. No cracks, no sticking. If you watch the demo for the Sweetwise mat they are actually using Fondx fondant.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:49am
post #15 of 15

Thank you ladies, I so appreciate your advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%