Batter Very Thick

Baking By pennyemer Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm by calicopurr

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 7

When I make the Enhanced cake mix from this site it is all very good. My concern is, that when I use chocolate cake mix, Betty Crocker or Pillsbury, after adding the chocolate pudding, sour cream and other ingredients, my batter is way thick. I'm taking dough like consistency and not pourable at all. I'm afraid to add extra water. Does anyone else experience this for the chocolate? If so, what do you do if anything? Thanks!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 7

which recipe exactly are you using/
My *Original* WASC recipe does not call for pudding and will give you a great cake batter that bakes up into a super nice, moist, great tasting choco cake.

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 7

Kakeladi - I used your receipe for WASC for both white cake and chocolate for my daughters wedding cake. Three tiers, each tier had a layer of white and a layer of the chocolate. Everyone loved the cake! The layers were baked, frozen, and transported from Florida to Massachusetts.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 12:16am
post #4 of 7

I use that same recipe. It's very thick, but it will taste yummy. That's the same recipe that's in "The Cake Doctor". She also adds mini chocolate chips. I use Duncan Hines.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #5 of 7
pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:21am
post #6 of 7

This is the one that I use.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/enhanced-cake-mix/
When I bake my cakes, they are very thick, they bake high to the top of the pan then as they cool it seems that they deflate. They do not fall or sink in the middle, it's like the entire cake just got smaller in the height. It is still super moist, but when I'm putting a white & chocolate side by side to make my 1/2 sheet, I really have to cut down on the white.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 7

You can use one cup of water. It will just take longer to bake. In fact, l don't like thick batter for cupcakes since they sink. Just add more water and see what happens. I think you will be pleased. I fixed that problem with cupcakes and it works like magic!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%