Convection Baking

Baking By beccas Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 9:54pm by MimiFix

beccas Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 3

I just got a new oven with convection, thinking it would make my cakes cook more even, but not getting results I want. My edges arent tough like they were in my old oven, but I still cannot get the batter to rise evenly. What can I do to make my cake more level? My edges are 1" tall and the center is 2.

2 replies
auzzi Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:17am
post #2 of 3

What does your manual say ?

Quote:
Quote:

My edges are 1" tall and the center is 2.

The temperature is still too hot ...

MimiFix Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccas

I just got a new oven with convection, thinking it would make my cakes cook more even, but not getting results I want. My edges arent tough like they were in my old oven, but I still cannot get the batter to rise evenly. What can I do to make my cake more level? My edges are 1" tall and the center is 2.

If the center of your cake rises that much higher than the edges, it's probably from a high oven temp. Lower your set temp by 25 degrees. Most ovens have hot spots, even convection ovens. The fan can help or aggravate a hot spot. Several years ago I bought a GE convection oven that was awful. Their tech support advised I should turn off the fan when making baked goods. I returned the oven and now bake in a bottom-of-the-line basic (reliable!) oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%