Toasted Marshmallow Icing On S'mores Cupcakes

Baking By augurey Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 12:57am by QTCakes1

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 10

I was planning on making S'mores cupcakes this evening, however I'm currently falling short of a kitchen torch.

My boyfriend is swinging by Bed Bath and Beyond to see if they have one there -- and even if not I know that you can put them in the broiler (if you're very careful).

But I really am not too sure about the broiler idea, and am hoping the store has one, but my question is:

How does the toasted frosting on top change the taste? Does it bring out more flavor or really give it that S'mores flavor? Or does it not make a different but more or less for presentation?

I know I could do them without if I can't get a kitchen torch, but I'd really like to do it all if I can and am just curious if there's a difference between the toasted and non.

9 replies
amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 6:57am
post #2 of 10

I hope you found your torch. I got a little one about the size of a pen light from Lowes. It wasn't very expensive and it is really easy to store.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 7:16am
post #3 of 10

It definitely changes the taste. The browned parts are caramelized sugar.

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 10

scp1127, Thanks for info on how it changes the flavor! icon_smile.gif

amaryllis756, My boyfriend was able to get a kitchen torch at Bed Bath and Beyond. I love it and really enjoyed using it lol

I made the cupcakes, but, while they were good, I think I want do do a few tweaks as I would like it to try to mimic a Smore a little more as it didn't really pull together as I would have liked and try to get the flavors I was looking for (though maybe it's not possible, but I do want to tweak and try).

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 10

Martha Stewart's s'more cupcakes are really good and you still get to torch them. icon_smile.gif It's on her website.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 10

I use Trophy Cupcake's recipe for s'mores (that may be the same as Martha Stewarts because she featured the bakery on her show). They really are exceptional tasting cupcakes. The torched frosting makes all the difference and really ends up tasting like real s'mores.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 10

Is there a reason you can't just set them under the broiler for a few seconds? That's what I do and they come out perfect. Just like a toasted marshmallow!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 10

Before I got a torch, I tried the broiler. It just melted the icing. Then hubby tried a propane torch, it melted before browning because the torch doesn't get hot enough. The butane kitchen torch works great and I have found no other method to make it work.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 10

The kitchen torch is so precise that I can toast the tops in tulip liners.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:57am
post #10 of 10

I can see that happening Cheatize. I usually put mine on low broiler, several inches from the top. It gives it a nice even toast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%