Quickly Dry Fondant Help

Decorating By lzbthbrdn Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 1:35am by cheatize

lzbthbrdn Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 10

I made a sign out of fondant yesterday that needs to go on a cake tomorrow. It is nowhere near dry enough to stand up yet and it's extremely humid today. Does anyone have any tips for getting fondant to dry out faster? I'm panicking that it won't be ready in time. Please and Thank you!!

9 replies
Leauna Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 10

How thick and big is the sign? Also did you add tylose powder or gumpaste to it?

lzbthbrdn Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

It is approx. 6.5" wide by 5" tall and about 1/16" thick. I didn't use any tylose or gumpaste because they specifically requested NO gumpaste and wanted everything edible.

icer101 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 10

Put it in the oven on 150 degree F. for 1 1/2-2 hrs. and it will dry hard. Learned this from Nick Lodge on g/ flowers, etc. hth

lzbthbrdn Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 10

TYSM!! I would've thought that would have melted it!

icer101 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 10

Ok , maybe its just g/p that you can do that way. Maybe someone else will see this. I know putting it in front of a fan, I keep little ones on my desk just for that reason. I,ll check around to see if using the oven is for fondant also.

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 10

2 things--if it's all fondant, it just may get gooey and not actually dry. That's a BIG slab of just fondant.

Gum paste IS EDIBLE. For all intents & purposes, it's fondant with edible gums added to it (tylose, gum tex, cmc, etc.) in order to make it dry quicker, better, and harder.

If a customer isn't knowledgeable about all aspects of cake decorating, they have no business dictating to a decorator how something must be done. If they insist on doing so, then they need to make the cake themselves.

Rae

icer101 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 10

Hey, I was right. Here is a good link on c/c If K8Memphis says you can do it. Then you can. She gives great advice on here . Haven,t seen her lately though. She says 150, so use 150 . That is what i have gone by for g/p and fondant. hth

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617840-.html&sid=b2c9c2163b28435e1f828f73828f41aa

carmijok Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 10

Gum paste is edible...it tastes like Necco wafers. And if it's for a sign that stands up why would they be that concerned about it? Unless they know they have a guest with a penchant for munching toppers. Geez.

I use Wilton's pre-made gum paste. It dries very fast and very hard. And if something is taking a bit longer than I like I put it in the oven with just the light on for several hours to help dry. I've got to say, I've not had much luck with fondant drying that fast no matter what I do.

cheatize Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:35am
post #10 of 10

Just in case, make a back up sign out of chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%