Vintage Paris Theme Wedding Cake-Stumped

Decorating By Buttercream_warrior Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 8:06am by allaboutcakeuk

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 9

i got a call for a paris vintage wedding cake..she wants a super elegant wedding cake and she wants it huge..im a lil stumped ..ive looked all over for somthing that might fit in that category..does anyone have any ideas?

8 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 9

Go to google, click on images, search vintage paris . Tons of things from photos to postcards come up. Lots of eye candy.

Rae

GracieJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GracieJean Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 9

Hmm... First thing I think of is Eiffel Tower. It's tall, it's Paris, it's old, lol. I wonder if you could somehow incorporate that. Lace and floral prints, aged maps... These are things I think of.

I'm going to just think out loud and ramble on a bit here...Square cakes. All covered in a creamy, antiquey, off white as the main layer on fondant. Bottom of the cake the bottom of the tower (seems like it might be not too hard to do this with the square shape of the cake; just add fondant to the corners in the shape/design of the corners of the tower), top of the cake the top of the tower, the tiers in between separated by elegant pillars. One layer with a 3D lace look to it-something like this maybe http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465667@N03/6220994649/in/photostream

Another layer with gumpaste roses and other timeless flowers done in soft but deep colors like purple, rose, greens, etc. You know, "dusty" colors. I think they look vintage, like an they've been aged but their true color is still under there peeking out.

And then maybe the 3rd tier up...oooooh oooh, I think I just got a good idea, lol. OK, on that tier, you have the basic creamy colored fondant and then you get images on sugar/wafer paper of small old posters from Paris and lay them all over the fondant or at least the sides for sure. It would be like it's wallpapered with beautiful old posters from old French plays and such.

OK, so I'm picturing this cake and it's awesome, lol. If you would need more than 4 tiers maybe just have a few extra simple layers in between the other decorate ones. Too much on each layer could turn out gaudy. Maybe I'll try to sketch this for you. I'll have to see how my sketching skills are doing today. Sometimes I can barely draw a stickman while others I do pretty well.

Let me know what you thin of this icon_smile.gif

GracieJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GracieJean Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 9

If you could get pillars that looked like the parts of the tower that would be so cool. You might be able to figure out how to wrap some fondant around some pillars to make them look that way. Sure you might still see the original pillar but with the fondant coming off and making it look like part of the structure...so nice.

Lori123456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori123456 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 9

This cake has a Versailles feel to it. It's the first cake in the gallery, 'Marie Antoinette.' It's very large and elegant. http://www.cakecoquette.com/gallery/

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 9

here is a cake I made for a Cake Central Magazine tutorial. I used Icing Images to print a toille pattern and cut out the silhouette of the Eiffel tower. I also used the toille pattern printed on icing images to create the swags. This was b&w but you could do it in cornflower blue and yellow or maybe sepia for a more vintage look. the lace under the swags is sugar veil

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneW

here is a cake I made for a Cake Central Magazine tutorial

sorry I tried to attach it but it didn't work. Here is the link to the Eiffel Tower Wedding Cake in my gallery

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2175139

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:44am
post #8 of 9

Perhaps something in the style of art nouveau? It's very turn of the century paris. Look at things like the paris metro stations, Maison and Atelier Horta, or just the work of victor Horta, the art of Alphonse Mucha, and just art nouveau motifs.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 8:06am
post #9 of 9

this is a lovely "vintage" style cake with what is like a vintage cake topper. The cake is at the bottom of the page from the link I've attached http://www.weddingbee.com/2007/05/03/lovely-cakes/ may give you some inspiration? HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%