Just Made Homemade Gumpaste And It's Hard As A Rock!

Baking By FondantDreams Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 5:49pm by BizCoCos

FondantDreams Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 6

I followed the directions to a T! I was instructed to put it in an air tight container and let it sit for 8 hours or over night and this morning it's so hard I cannot even put a dent into it. I NEED this for tomorrows class! HELP!

5 replies
Cakepro Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 6

Sounds like you went overboard on the Tylose/CMC/whatever gum you used in it.

Try microwaving it in small bursts until it's pliable and then knead some Wilton fondant into it. I find that 50/50 works best for almost every application anyway.

jeartist Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 6

I always wrap, put in plastic bag and keep in the fridge. Did you refrigerate it or leave it out?

BizCoCos Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 6

place it in the microwave for 15 seconds, take it out touch it, place back and keep on doing it untik it has softened. be careful not to overheat, I usually start reducing time to 10 seconds since i do not want to make it a syrupy gummy mess. Grease your hands and start reworking it untikl it is a soft consistency. What recipe did you use? You might have to add some PS also to bring it back to its original consistency. Start with a smaller piece that way you will know if this process will work or if you have to start from scratch. I just made a batch , Nicholas lodge recipe and am letting it rest covered in saran wrap.

FondantDreams Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6

While waiting for your replies I put it on my lap to gradually warm up and look at some cake pics and it started softening up, I added in the remaining PS per instructions but it was still rather dry, I added in a tad bit of shortening as advised then a tad bit of water and it's a bit stiffer than play-doh but workable. Does this sound right to you all?

BizCoCos Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 6

keep working with it slowly, since it sounds about right rub it with shortening, then wrap tightly in saran wrap and then in an air tight container, that should do the trick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%