How Long Do You Save Your Royal?

Baking By giraffe11 Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 11:10pm by 6ducks

giraffe11 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 14

I keep it in ziplocs with the air squeezed out, so it doesn't dry. How long do you generally keep it and still reuse. I have kept it for a couple of weeks before, but I may be pushing the limits now. Any input? Thanks

13 replies
giraffe11 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 14

vicki3336 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 14

I'm a little reticent to answer this since the last time I answered a question about how long I kept something, I was informed how wrong I was to do so. But, since I hate to see you go unanswered, here goes:

I, personally, have frozen royal icing for over three months and used it after thawing with no problems. I don't know about leaving it on the counter more than a week as I haven't done that. Hopefully, someone who has will come along to help.

shiney Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 14

I remember something about Antonia's RI could stay on shelf for three weeks. I have frozen it before for few months and it was fine. The test was if it smelled at all like alcohol, it's no good

ALVARGA Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 14

I have left it on the counter for probably two weeks and used it but I pitch it after two weeks.

giraffe11 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 14

THanks all. It doesn't smell at all, but I think I'm going to pitch it. It is Antonia's, but I have had it for about 6 weeks. So.........guess I'll be making all of those colors again tonight. Have a great weekend. H

SAHCaker Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:00am
post #7 of 14

My royal icing separates after the second/third day. So do you guys just rebeat and reuse? Thanks to the OP for posting this!

PinkLisa Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:55am
post #8 of 14

From what I've read, royal icing can stay out for 2 weeks in a airtight container. I make a large 4 pound batch and put in small individual containers. I keep one out and freeze the rest. I usually get through this small container for my week's cakes. If you color the icing, just freeze it for future use.

erin12345 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 14

This is something I've been wondering about too. Thanks for all of the advice! I think I will make a batch and freeze it in small portions.

cherrycakes Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 14

I had no idea you could freeze royal icing! I love learning new things!! icon_smile.gif

Serena4016 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 14

Oh yeah! I don't use royal icing much, so I make a batch and freeze what I do not use. I just defrost it, use what I need and pop the unused stuff back in the freezer! I freeze leftover everything!! The worst that will happen is I will have to throw it out! Usually, I am surprised at how well things freeze if wrapped very well!!

shiney Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 14

Separating is normal, just stir it up and off you go!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 14

I keep for up to 2 weeks - this is of course RI made with meriwhite and not fresh egg whites icon_smile.gif after that I either ditch it or, a fab useage for old stuff, is to make pastillage out of it. You can make hard structures, support sticks etc out of it. i use it for castle turrets etc HTH

6ducks Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 11:10pm
post #14 of 14

If it is made with fresh egg whites, it will only last a day, after that the texture isn't the same. If you aren't fussd about the texture, it will keep for 2/3 days. If it's made out of meringue powder, I have kept it on the shelf for up to 2 weeks before throwing out. But I have never heard of freezing it! Will definitely give it a try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%