Where U At?

Lounge By CakeFIED Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 9:53pm by kakeladi

CakeFIED Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFIED Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 59

Just wondering which part of the world you all at.if u dont mind to say.As for me am in Zimbabwe.Africa

58 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 59

Wow Zimbabwe, that's pretty far from me. I've been a tad bit obsessed with studying the economy of Zimbabwe lately. But you didn't want this to be a politcal thread so I won't go there lol thumbs_up.gif

I live in Bois D' Arc, Missouri in the USA. I have Springfield as my location because it's the 3rd largest city in Missouri, everyone has heard of it and I live about 25 min away from it. Very few people of heard of Bois D' Arc. I doubt most could even pronounce it correctly lol.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 59

I live In Calgary,Alberta,Canada...Wow...Zimbabwe..That's is across the world from here..

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNW

Wow Zimbabwe, that's pretty far from me. I've been a tad bit obsessed with studying the economy of Zimbabwe lately. But you didn't want this to be a politcal thread so I won't go there lol thumbs_up.gif

I live in Bois D' Arc, Missouri in the USA. I have Springfield as my location because it's the 3rd largest city in Missouri, everyone has heard of it and I live about 25 min away from it. Very few people of heard of Bois D' Arc. I doubt most could even pronounce it correctly lol.

Ok so I'm curious. How do you pronounce Bois D' Arc? icon_smile.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 59

I hope it's "bwah dark"....

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 59

Wow, Zimbabwe, what type of cakes are in style there currently, would love to see some pics. Philadelphia, pa

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 59

I'm in Seattle, Washington, USA.

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 59

I am in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia......but orginally from London UK. I miss home....but I can get corn syrup here..... yeahhhh!!!

CakeFIED Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 59

wow seems i am really far from all of you.LNW i cant even pronounce that name of the place u are at...

margiep most of the cakes you guys talk about here i actually dont know what you are talking about.but mostly people know Black forest which is what i make most of the times and lately character cakes like making shoes or bags or books,but its few people who can do the art.so am really enjoying the discussions here and will try and be the first to make diff cakes.e.g all wedding cakes here are fruit cakes,the ones that mature over weeks and weeks and covered in hard fondant.so i find it so amusing when u guys associates frostings like buttericing with wedding cakes.i have never seen that.Interesting.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNW

Ok so I'm curious. How do you pronounce Bois D' Arc? icon_smile.gif

Bow Dark

If your not from around here you say it like "boys dee ark" and then we'll all laugh at you lol.

And if your French you'd probably say it the way shanter mentioned (which would technically be the correct way to say it since it's a French name), and then we'll all laugh at you too lol.

The French named it after a tree the indians in this area made bows with called the bodark tree. Which it probably why we locals pronounce it "bow dark" and not the French way. Well and this is Missouri, not France.

So I'm fasinated with how your cakes are done there CakeFIED. With all the past British influence are the cakes a lot like what I would expect to find in the UK or does Zimbabwe have it's own take on cake? What would be your most popular flavor? Sorry to put you on the spot lol. I love it when people from other countries with their own style of cake baking and decorating post about it.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 59

Zimbabwe ...wow! I love finding new recipes...have any to share?

Dizzy from Boston, Massachusetts USA

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 59

Yes cakeFIED and any others from those far off lands ...hehe, please share not only recipes but the challenges you face from day to day just keeping up with the art and doing business.

That's what I've enjoyed about this site the most.

From Los Angeles, CA. USA

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 59

Lorrie from Sumter, South Carolina! Originally from El Paso, TX though. I'm just here momentarily because my husband is in the Air Force!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 59

I am from a little town just East of Dallas Texas, Rowlett. About the only time anyone ever heard of Rowlett is when Darlie Routier was in the news.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 59

Florence, South Carolina. Right down the road from knlcox
in Sumter.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 59

audrey0522, I love Florence! My boyfriend and I stopped by on a drive from Florida and spent the night at a Marriott Hotel (among a bunch of them somewhere there). We came back and told people were were in Florence...lol...and they thought we were in Italy.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 59

I'm an East Texas girl. icon_smile.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 59

imagenthatnj: I am originally from Fla. and have lived all over the South. When we first moved to Texas (a long time ago) our Real Estate agent mentioned she was just back from Paris. We were real impressed until we realized she meant Paris, Texas! We have been in Florence about 10 years.

CakeFIED Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 5:06am
post #19 of 59

will try and upload a few pics of my cakes but like i said earlier i dont have much variety hey.Over the years most people jus knew how to make vanilla cakes,we use vanilla essence,i see from some receipes there is also vanilla sticks...is it???,i have never seen that.so vanilla flavoured cakes and chocolate cakes with buttercream which we make with margarine and icing sugar and the vanilla essence..thats abt it hey

only recently have we started to know abt fresh cream cakes,this was introduced by hotels and upclass restaurant and most of us had no idea how the cream was made,even up to now people are fascinated with my cakes cause i am using fresh cream now.i actually learnt it from the internet.

Thats about it really. Next i make a cake will picture how i do it step by step.
Am so interested in learning about the many types of cakes there are beside chocolate and vanilla hey.

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 5:40am
post #20 of 59

Bentonville, Arkansas here. (Wal-Mart country)

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:27am
post #21 of 59

Seattle, WA, USA area. Originally from Chicago, IL

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 9:55am
post #22 of 59

I'm in Dublin, Ireland. I do love America...I've been to a few states but I think I left my heart in Texas. I just adored it there usaribbon.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:20pm
post #23 of 59

Well for now I am in north-central Indiana - near South Bend. I have my house up for sale hoping to move to California where my family is.
I was born in Cleveland, OH; moved to CA in my mid 20s; came to IN about 7-8 yrs ago.

Many yrs ago there was a lady very active in the cake community from Zimbabwe named Angela Priddy. As I remember she got into developing equipment - molds? for decorating. Or maybe it was petal dusts? Just cant remember now - it's been some 20 yr.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 59

Valkstar, my dream is to one day get to the Motherland, Ireland. I am of 100% Irish descent and would love to see the home of my ancestors. We once made it as far as England but my Dad was hit by a bus in Canterbury and was in the Charing Cross Hospital in London for a month. Needless to say, we never did make it to Ireland, but I can dream icon_smile.gif

Ps...glad you like Texas...I have relatives there and was there one summer and I thought I was going to die....it was as hot as a blastfurnace, I swear. I couldn't wait to get home to my lovely cool, rainy Seattle.

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:02pm
post #25 of 59

I'm in Los Angeles, CA, born and raised.

auntginn Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #26 of 59

megpi, Welcome to CC. what area are you in? If you want you can pm me and we can exchange info. I have met several cc'ers from the area and we are always happy to meet others.

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:57am
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

megpi, Welcome to CC. what area are you in? If you want you can pm me and we can exchange info. I have met several cc'ers from the area and we are always happy to meet others.

Hey, thanks. I'm out in silver lake now, originally from sherman oaks, what about you? Do you work at a bakery or are you mainly doing stuff from home?

auntginn Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:02am
post #28 of 59

I'm not that far from you. I'm in the Lincoln Hts area. Been here 10 yrs now. Originally fromt the West Side. I have a commercial bakery. So only there when I have orders, haha, sometimes that seems like such a joke. But I love what I do.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:49am
post #29 of 59

Wiesbaden, Germany here.

I love that CC is so international, we can learn a lot from each other!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:47pm
post #30 of 59

this is why I love CC !!! I am from the planet formerly known as pluto... it is a planet it is !!!

i reside in USA, the great state of Kentucky... home of thoroughbreds, whiskey, moonshine and great cakes. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%