Vanilla Custard Filling

Baking By Kimzie Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 3:13am by jules5000

Kimzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimzie Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I'm making a cake for next weekend and the teenager I'm making this cake for wants a fondant covered chocolate cake with a custard filling. My question is, does anyone have a good simple custard filling recipe that I can use that can be left out at room temp?

thanks!

4 replies
elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 5

I've ran into that dilemma, since custards call for dairy that needs to be refrigerated. Here is what I've come up with... IF you can get your hands on Pastry Pride/Frosting Pride/Rich's Bettercreme (WHICH are all NON-DAIRY, come in liquid for just like heavy cream) Than I simply whip it up and fold in some pudding cups or instant pudding, it's delicious. HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:07am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaBakes

I've ran into that dilemma, since custards call for dairy that needs to be refrigerated. Here is what I've come up with... IF you can get your hands on Pastry Pride/Frosting Pride/Rich's Bettercreme (WHICH are all NON-DAIRY, come in liquid for just like heavy cream) Than I simply whip it up and fold in some pudding cups or instant pudding, it's delicious. HTH

You can certainly add instant pudding mix (not reconstituted instant pudding) to Rich's Bettercreme for a faux bavarian filling:

ShirleyW's faux bavarian recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/bavarian-cream-filling/

However, adding instant pudding cups (which require refrigeration upon opening) would necessarily result in a mixture which would require refrigeration.

Bavarian cream sleeved pastry fillings don't require refrigeration (unless you have product left over):

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19571&name=Bavarian%20Cream%20Filling%20by%20Henry%20&%20Henry

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=619077

HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 5

Does your client want real custard? The non-dairy and the sleeves taste nothing like the real thing. You might want to ask.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

kimzie: blakescakes gave some directions on another forum about even freezing fondant decorated cakes with no problem. I would not suggest freezing a cake with custard filling, but if you took the same precautions with just refrigerating it it should still be ok. I will try to paste and copy what he said. maybe that will help you. Of course just don't freeze and do the rest of it. The cakes that blakescakes showed with these directions were beautiful.

Box cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil. Put wrapped box in garbage bag. Place in freezer.

24 hrs. before serving, place completely boxed & wrapped cake in refrigerator. Several hours before serving, place boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. Immediately before display & serving, remove cake from wrapping & box. Eat cake.

This is exactly how these cakes were handled. They were frozen for 2 weeks before serving:
Best wishes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%