Attaching Tiny Dragees To Cake

Decorating By Jan14grands Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 9:09pm by countrycaker

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me the best way to attach dragees to the side of a cake? Do you use royal icing, buttercream, or melted chocolate? Which would work the best without showing?

7 replies
shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 8

I would also like to know how to attache them, everytime i try they fall and i cannot get a good grip without puncturing a hole in the cake?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 8

If it's a fondant covered cake I mix a tiny container of meringue powder & water to a thin syrup consistency. I pick up the dragees with tweezers, dip one side in the mixture and press into the cake. It's like cement. And it dries invisible so you don't see anything but the cake and the dragee.

However, sometimes I WANT the look of a dragee sitting in a dot of royal icing. It really depends on the look and style I'm going for. I've never used buttercream as a glue since I don't really trust it to grip anything too reliably.

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 8

I would imagine the best way would probably be royal icing, just a tiny dot, or even just a dot of vodka which will make the fondant sticky so the dragee sticks, then it will evaporate once dry. Then maybe wrap some greaseproof paper around to hold them until they are fully stuck?

I'm assuming you're using a fondant covered cake anyway!

HTH! icon_smile.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 8

also a dot of piping gel works

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 8

If I am putting them on a BC covered cake I don't use anything to attach them.
If putting them on fondant I dip them in a lil "tylose glue".

For either I use tweezers to put them on the cake, but use very slight pressure to gently push them in - barely, mostly on the BC. The glue usually holds them onto the fondant rather quickly.

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 8

Ok, I should have mentioned it will be on buttercream. Will gumtex mixed with water hold it on? I think if I use royal, it will show. I will try that or piping gel. thanks!

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8

I use water with a pinch of gumpaste dissoved in it and it works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%