Please Help With A Ruffled Wedding Cake...

Decorating By DrewsCrows Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm by DrewsCrows

DrewsCrows Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 3

Hi! I am doing fondant ruffles on a wedding cake for Saturday. I have been putting the ruffles directly on the buttercream crumb coat, instead of my original plan which was to attach the ruffles to a base layer of fondant. I just started thinking today "why put on a layer of fondant when the ruffles will create a pretty solid layer of fondant already?"

So i did all of the ruffles on the bottom tier tonight, and then rolled out a fondant circle to cover the top of the tier since there are no ruffles on the very top. So the whole tier is covered in fondant, but the fondant ruffles are what is covering the sides - no base layer of fondant there. There is no obviously-exposed buttercream, but I'm assuming there are some areas here and there maybe... if you really look around under and in between some of the ruffles. So now I'm worried about the cake spoiling/melting!! I'm wondering if the tiny gaps that must exist here and there in some of the ruffle edges (even though I dont see any) will cause the cake to act like a regular buttercream cake that isnt refrigerated!? I know I can't put this cake in the fridge, but will it hold up like a normal fondant covered cake? Or will the little tiny areas that my be exposed to the air cause the cake to spoil faster?

(btw- these ruffles are overlapping. about half of each ruffle is attached to the cake, and then the second half curls out away from the cake - so truly almost all of the buttercream is covered in fondant.. just not as solid as an actual fondant layer.. this is the reason for my concern..)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Amy
Sweets Couture

2 replies
cakedout Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 3

First of all, I would have suggested frosting your cake with a complete layer of buttercream, as is done under all fondant cakes.

Second, don't worry- your cake will be just fine and dandy being covered mostly with the fondant ruffles.

Third- make sure you post pics for all of us to see! icon_smile.gif Sounds pretty!

DrewsCrows Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 3

the cake was a success, but i can't figure out how to post photos. i clicked on add attachment and then uploaded but it wont show up. ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%