I Need To Put This Wording Around The Outside Of 11X15 Cake

Decorating By rozedcj Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 11:39am by rozedcj

rozedcj Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 12:44am
post #1 of 7

"Against Tha Grain!!!"
Can i do this with Royal Icing? or Should i make the letters with GumPaste and Fondant?

6 replies
heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:04am
post #2 of 7

You could put that saying on there with any of the mediums you mention. I guess the deciding factor would be how confident you are with your writing ability. Since it is on a side of cake, if you are going to hand pipe and want precision, I would suggest using the pin prick method. There is also the option of using fondant or gum paste and creating a plaque that is adhered to the side of the cake.

rozedcj Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:10am
post #3 of 7

ok thanks heartsnsync!! would be able to use royal icing over top of a print out of the font i want to use and trace over it on wax paper and then transfer it to the cake once it dries?
Whats the Pin Prick Method?

heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:34am
post #4 of 7

Yes, you could pipe it with the royal icing in the manner you say. But, make more than one set in case one of the letters breaks.

The pin prick method is to print up the saying you want to use in a font you like. Cut it out leaving only a small border and place it on a piece of stryfoam. Anchor it down with pins and then with a needle or awl prick right on top of the lettering every little bit around each letter. Now, place the pin pricked piece of paper onto your butter cream and lightly press it in. The pricks on the back side of the paper will leave an impression on the butter cream that will give you a guide to use to pipe. Some people prick the paper right on the butter cream with great success, too. I am sure there is a tutorial somewhere online that can explain it better than me! This is the method I use if I am using a very artistic font and want to capture it exactly when piping.

Unlimited Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:57am
post #5 of 7

You could write directly on the side of the cake with buttercream.

heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:05am
post #6 of 7

Oh, I guess I did not specify. Yes, if you use the pin prick method this should be piped with butter cream!

rozedcj Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:39am
post #7 of 7

Wow thanks guys i definatley think this is the method that i am going to use!

Quote by @%username% on %date%