Sunken Cake!!!

Baking By heatherangel26 Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 10:18pm by donnella2045

heatherangel26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherangel26 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to make a 10" chocolate cake for my daughter's bday party on Saturday. I'm using the Hersheys recipe (like I always do) and it keeps sinking in the middle. I've made 2 cakes so far and both have sunk.

I've made this recipe before and didn't have this problem. Never in the 10" pan though. What am i doing wrong??/

3 replies
donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 4

Use two flower nails in the center as a heating core and it will eliminate the problem. I use the hershey's cake and have the same problem when I don't use the nails.

heatherangel26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherangel26 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 4

I never used them before. Where do you put them? This is the first time I'm making a bigger cake.

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 4

Put them in the center of the pan, about 2" apart from one another. Spray them with non stick spray. The flower nail head goes against the bottom of the pan, nail side is up. If it's a 10" pan, you could use just one flower nail. I put them in the pan first and then fill it. Don't worry if it shifts, you can just move it back into the center. Bake as usual. Be careful when you flip the cake out of the pan because of the nail head..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%