Question For Wasc Users

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 12:24am by KatsSuiteCakes

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 8

Since I'm not a biz, I usually give my stuff away. Therefore I use cake mixes a lot even though I prefer to bake from scratch.

Someone with whom I work has asked me for three dozen cupcakes. I don't mind doing them since I can use the WASC recipe. The only problem is whenever I try to turn the recipe into cupcakes they turn out kind of spongy and dry.

I read on another thread about cupcakes to jack the heat up and bake them for a shorter amount of time. If you guys use WASC for your cupcakes how long do you bake them and at what temperature?

Thanks,
Annie

7 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 8

I frequently use WASC for my cupcakes. I like a nice tall dome, so I put them in the oven at 425 degrees for 4 -5 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 degrees until the tops are completely dry, which is likely another 8-10 minutes. I'm always super careful not to over bake, because they continue baking until I remove them from the pan when cooled. I live at very high altitude, and baking time can vary greatly in comparison to sea level. I don't know how much help this is, but by trial and error my cupcakes are now nice and moist with the WASC.

Kat

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much Kat for your advice. Do you use the original WASC from kakeladi (without the oil) or the Rebecca Sutterby version?

Also, are the Wilton cupcake liners any good? I tried the Michael's brand Celebrate It liners a long time ago and they were actually decent, but I didn't see any at Michael's last night. I need ones with Halloween patterns on them but I don't have time to order from a specialty store.

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 8

Interesting-a quick Google search and apparently there are a lot of issues with using WASC for cupcakes-so it's not just me!

I have to admit-I have an aversion to cupcakes. Not sure why, but this isn't helping me any!

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

I use the original WASC by kakeladi for cupcakes all the time. I bake at 350 for 19 minutes. Mine have always turned out fine. I probably just jinxed myself.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 8

I actually use this recipe that my Grandmom used in her Wedding Cakes which is just a variation of the WASC using whole eggs. I've used 4 egg whites in this before, with equally good results.

1 Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cups water
2 Tbs canola oil
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbs Organic Almond Extract

Wilton cupcake liners aren't my favorite and neither are Celebrate It. I have had the best luck with Kroger liners.......lol.

I was at the Dollar Tree this morning, and they have some cute Halloween/Pumpkin/Harvest themed liners.

Kat

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 12:09am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for posting that recipe. I will probably start baking this weekend.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 12:24am
post #8 of 8

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%