How Do I Carve This Cake?

Decorating By stewy Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm by kakeladi

stewy Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 4

hello all!
I have this cake to do tonight and was wondering if anyone can give me pointers on how to achieve the hourglass look of the bottom tier? I would appreciate any comment!!!!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1837608

3 replies
aligotmatt Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 4

I carve that as 2 separate tiers and flip one and then clean them up.

So, for example, you have 2 8" round tiers (4" high). Then I get one circle that is 6" or 7" (depending on how dramatic you want the cinch to be) and put it top in the center. Cut that cake at it's angle. Then do it again. Using a circle on top will make sure they match up. Dowel the bottom one, flip the other with your guide board between them and stack. Clean up as you need to. crumb coat and fondant.

2txmedics Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:44am
post #3 of 4

Thats an Awesome cake! Mine would fall over...lol

I know you dowel them but what says the top one wont keel over when you move it?...especially with the cinched part....Im in awe!!!

kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 4

IF you have pans in two sizes such as an 8" and 7" you can bake one layer of each put together as one tier. Make up two tiers (one 2" layer of 7" round and one 2" layer of 8" round each); place the two smaller parts of the tiers together once iced.
OR you can use a cake board to cut down one of 2 like-sized rounds:
bake two 8"x2" rounds. Using a cake board or other pattern cut one of them down. Place the pattern centered on the cake and cut at an angle from the 7" pattern on top to the 8" bottom.
If you want more of a sever(sp?) hour glass look bake one layer each of say 10"x2" and 8"x2", cutting the 10" down using the 8" pan as your guide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%