I Want To Strangle My Boss! (Vent)

Decorating By tcbalgord Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 4:33pm by indydebi

tcbalgord Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 18

I will never claim to have a clear 100% positive understanding of copywrite laws, however my boss is a complete moron and I feel like I need to shake her on a daily basis. Everytime I walk into work I look at my orders and then throw a fit because she continues (and allows the others) to take orders for copywritted stuff. I have printed out the laws and hung them, they rip em down, I've explained the many ways around it that we could go, it falls on deaf ears, I have even called the customers and explained to them and offer solutions only to have them call the boss and complain and end up getting their way.

Once I buy the product from deco or wherever it's all good and no one has any worries( I cannot order based on when a customer wants something if we have it we have it if not I have to call other stores). I can do the cake in the colors of "star wars" and you can place your toys on it. There are so many ther ways around it that we can go, but no one hears me!!! I am so angry at the lack of respect, and I know that if something were to ever happen the company(who says do it n shut up) wouldn't back me up and so it's my butt in the frying pan.

Jobs are hard to come by in the area and i I'm not making enough from my cake business to supliment my income so leaving out right is not an option(I am looking though!)

Thanks for letting me vent cakers!

17 replies
Crazboutcakes Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 18

I am sorry that you are going through that, are you working for a bakery? If they are expecting you to make a copy right and your boss is allowing it... it is her ethics of being a business person and that sucks! If this is her practices, me personally... would get her signature aproval and make a copy of the order, and at that point at least if something does happen with your job, than you've coverd your own A** and than at least you would have proof that she told you to make it, I don't thing anyone could blame you for wanting to keep your job! And if they let go you could at leaset get unemployment because this is what she approved. Sorry that is the only thing that I can think of, I hope it all works out for you.

tcbalgord Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 18

That actually may work! I work for DQ, and at first I thought it was just her, but every store we own does it. i have thought of calling them in but I can never find a clear answer on how. I love how whenever I explain it to her she says "well you do it in your business". Yes I do, but I only do those for my family and I DO NOT take payments from my family! She doesn't understand that concept! (taking money for my own kids and niece and nephew's cakes is weird! lol)

Crazboutcakes Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 18

Yeah, maybe you should pull a copy of copywrite and it's meaning from the internet and the possibilities of being sued to-boot for a $50 cake, she is just play russina rullet with her business. Chalk it up to ingonorance, and just get your pay check and hope for the best

cheatize Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 18

DQ has a headquarters. Reach higher up.

tcbalgord Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 18

Just an update... reaching higher up proved to be pointless since I recieved no reply and my "store" still sucks. I have been making the boss sign all the copy right cake orders and her reply every time is "you should just quit complaining and do your job." I do rest a little easier knowing that my butt is covered so to speak and that at least in my side cake business I respect law! Thanks again for all of your advice! Happy caking!

NerdyGirl Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 18

You are doing your job...but you're protecting herself! When someone comes knocking on the door to sue, it won't be you!

Sorelle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 18

DQ may have purchased the copyrights, they are a big company I can't imagine them putting themselves in jeopardy. Since you are employed you are protected. If they are stealing then shame on them! They will be found out, its not like some random home baker the actually have $ to sue for.

cai0311 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 18

Are you sure DQ hasn't purchased the rights for the characters?

carmijok Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 18

You personally can not be held responsible if you are working from direct orders of your boss/store/company. You are just an employee. So go ahead and do them and until DQ gets a cease and desist order, there really isn't anything you can do about it. Chances are DQ does have rights to the characters. They are big enough to be noticed by those whose job it is to oversee copyright infringement so I'd quit worrying about it. It sounds like you've got enough CYA evidence of your attempt at keeping it legal. If your boss is putting DQ at risk, then that is their responsibility not yours. It's not like you haven't tried.

kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 18

With everyone saying getting her to sign off &/or you are *just employed* Does NOT cover you!
From the stories I have heard/read *everyone involved* in taking the order to making the cake to the shop owner is hauled into court and help responsible if copyright lawyers come a'callin' icon_sad.gif
Maybe you could ? an attorney - there is usually a free lawyer's group in most cities - could give you some advise to keep yourself out of trouble.

tcbalgord Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 18

I can't see how they could purchase the rights....there is such a wide variety. If I have the product (like from deco pac) in the store I know we can do the cake order cuz we purchased the rights to that product, but for a customer to want say snoopy, I have to print a pic from the net and draw it on a cake....that I know is not legal.

jason_kraft Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

With everyone saying getting her to sign off &/or you are *just employed* Does NOT cover you!
From the stories I have heard/read *everyone involved* in taking the order to making the cake to the shop owner is hauled into court and help responsible if copyright lawyers come a'callin' icon_sad.gif

Copyright infringement cases rarely make it to court, the parties involved will almost always settle out of court. Anything's possible, but it's doubtful the copyright owner will go after individual employees, the business is where the money is.

southerncross Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 18

spot on, Jason

KoryAK Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 18

YOU didn't sell the cake for money, DQ did and YOU (most likely) don't have the big bucks to go after, DQ does. I'm no expert on this, but I think they'd be in trouble and not you.

heyjules Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:44am
post #16 of 18

I have good friends who own a couple of DQ's. They said that the franchise is very strict and particular, so that the stores are uniform. I'm surprised at all that you are allowed to do "custom" cakes and not just projector tracing and simple flower designs. Is the owner of the store very involved? Maybe you could talk to him/her about it.

tcbalgord Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 11:03am
post #17 of 18

They own like 100+ stores in several states. I actually have a ton of freedom with cakes, which surprised me as well, but I won't complain about that!

indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 18

In a non-caking job I had, my boss wanted me to do something that was illegal. A violation of the Robinson-Patman act (on which I was the office "resident expert".) He was persistent. Me, too. I actually contacted an attorney who said, even tho' Robinson-Patman cases "rarely made it to court", he "strongly encouraged" me to try to get out of doing what the boss was asking, for my own protection. 10 years in jail and a $50,000 fine was not going to look good on my resume.

Even tho' this was over 10 years ago and I'm no longer in that job, I STILL have that email from the attorney that told me 'dont' do it."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%