Pudding Filling, Need Help & Tips

Decorating By bethasd Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm by bethasd

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 11:45am
post #1 of 5

I've had my first request for pudding filling & I'm worried about it being too unstable. I've read some recipes for using pudding to make custard filling but even with a dam, won't the filling squish out the sides? Also, the cake needs to be covered in fondant. Will the entire cake need to be in the refrigerator until it is picked up? Then I'm worried about the fondant. I need to complete the cake on Friday & it won't be picked up until Saturday around noon. Thanks for any advice!

4 replies
lrohring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrohring Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 5

Hi! When I took my Wilton classes my instructor gave us this simple recipe for a pudding filling:

3 pudding cups ( the ones for lunch boxes!)
1/2 packet of instant pudding

Use a whisk to mix until smooth and thick.

I have used this many times as a filling. It mixes together very thick. I use a dam and have never had a problem with leakage. I have added a few drops of flavoring to the recipe also. Granted, it is not homemade, but not bad tasting though! My family really likes the chocolate! I have made a cake the day before pick up and have not refrigerated it-it was fine. I would recommend to the customer that they do refrigerate left over cake however. Hope this helps!

lrohring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrohring Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 5

Hi! When I took my Wilton classes my instructor gave us this simple recipe for a pudding filling:

3 pudding cups ( the ones for lunch boxes!)
1/2 packet of instant pudding

Use a whisk to mix until smooth and thick.

I have used this many times as a filling. It mixes together very thick. I use a dam and have never had a problem with leakage. I have added a few drops of flavoring to the recipe also. Granted, it is not homemade, but not bad tasting though! My family really likes the chocolate! I have made a cake the day before pick up and have not refrigerated it-it was fine. I would recommend to the customer that they do refrigerate left over cake however. Hope this helps!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:00am
post #4 of 5

I question the pudding cup suggestion since even the pudding cups state that they need to be refrigerated once they are opened.

You could use the pudding that comes in the sleeves which is shelf stable. Or, you can mix instant pudding with a bit of water and add it to Rich's Bettercreme. This is a non-dairy mixture and does not have to refrigerated. This method is acceptable by my state as a shelf stable cream filling.

Are you a home processor? My state does not allow a home processor to create anything that requires refrigeration and that is why I have had to come up with alternatives.

And, to answer your original query, if the dam is stiff enough and the layer of cream or pudding thin enough then there is usually no problem. I did a wedding cake in August for an outdoor wedding reception under a tent. The cake was layers of key lime cake, key lime butter cream, and key lime whipped cream (Rich's Bettercreme base) covered in key lime butter cream and topped with fondant. It was 98 degrees and raining upon delivery and everything was fine for the reception. The key is thin layers of filling and a proper dam.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, both tips are very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%