How To Make A Stick Tree For Halloween Cake ( 3D Style Type)

Decorating By EvieliciousCakes Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 10:02pm by Herekittykitty

EvieliciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvieliciousCakes Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 5:03am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,
'
Im planning my daughters haunted house cake for next week and i want to put a stick tree (IDK how else to call it) next to the house. But i been unsuccessful on how to make it 3d type of thing. to stand on its oen instead of pasting it onto the cake...

Did i explain myself good??
Please help!!

7 replies
CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 8

melt chocolate in a piping bag...do not get it HOT....snip top and make figure on wax paper...let cook and whala...easy peasy.

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 8

I just finished a haunted house and put a tree beside mine as well (you can see it in my pics). I made a pretty large tree but I normally use a dowel rod and secure it to the cake board because I use wood at the base of each cake. I then use RKT to make the tree and if I want large branches I then connect another rod to the one that is already secure. I am so afraid of a cake disaster that I probably go overboard on stability. I then cover it in fondant, create texture and paint with food color.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 8

Depending on the size of the tree you want, one way is to take a bunch of grapes, take the grapes off, let the stem/branches dry (you might want to prop them into a shape you like), and then dip in melted chocolate (or paint melted chocolate on), doing as many coats as you need to get the look you want.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:33am
post #5 of 8

Brilliant! icon_smile.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 8

I love being called brilliant, but someone else on here said it first.

Good luck with your tree.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 8

I, too, saw the grape stem tree idea somewhere, though I cannot remember where. I used it for the trees around my pink castle cake in my photos. As I wasn't seeking the bare Halloween type tree, I dipped the stems in colored rice krispies to simulate leaves.

The effect went over really well, so I purchased several bunches of grapes to dry for future use. While drying I wired them to bamboo skewers so they'd look more like trees. (I removed the skewers after they were dry.) I saved little bunches to make bushes. So now I have a Tupperware container of future trees/bushes.

I am always amazed at what people can come up with to achieve different effects!

Jan

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 8

I've made one with candy bars. snickers for the trunk, twix and kit-kats for the branches. Attached to one another with chocolate. It's in the terrarium cake in my gallery. It's a bit messy since it was one of my first elaborate cakes.

Although, the grape stems are awesome, those are going to be my go-to trees from now on. I love CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%