Flavoring Glace Icing

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 2:42pm by TracyLH

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:28am
post #1 of 11

Can I flavor Toba Garrett's glace with something? I really don't care for the flavor (I don't like powdered sugar). I tried adding some vanilla extract but it didn't really seem to improve the flavor. I've never used lorann's but thought about trying it. I also saw somewhere that someone uses flavored coffee creamer as the liquid.

10 replies
rlowry03 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:18am
post #2 of 11

Somebody has to have some tips? Please?

And how about chocolate glace? Is it possible?

rlowry03 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 11

Nobody flavors their icing at all?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 11

I flavor my glace icing all the time! I love almond, lemon, key lime, clear vanilla, and cinnamon. I get all my extracts on-line from Spices, Etc. and they are fabulous! (A big thank-you to TracyLH for introducing me to this company). When I'm in the mood, I also use one of the following extracts: root beer, anise, coconut, mint, orange, and white chocolate.

When I flavor my icing, I add about 1/4 tsp. of extract for every cup of powdered sugar I use. Sometimes you can add a bit more, others a bit less.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 11

I've used almond extract and it was a big hit! It was great on the No Fail Sugar Cookies! thumbs_up.gif

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 11

I've used almond extract and it was a big hit! It was great on the No Fail Sugar Cookies! thumbs_up.gif

rlowry03 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you so much! Now that I know it can be done without making the icing react strangely I can try it!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 11

I definitely flavor my icing, and sometimes my dough as well. As Susan mentioned, I am a big fan of the all-natural flavorings from Spices Etc. Too many to list, but off the top of my head, Coconut, Lime, Orange, Pomegranate, Raspberry, Lemon and the can't-do-without Clear Vanilla pop into mind, With Fall here, I am using Pumpkin Pie Spice, Brown Sugar and Maple (Yum!!). Adding Chocolate to my chocolate dough was just the touch it needed. Perfect and tons of compliments.

If you want it, here is a discount code you can use for a first time order:

CC9 flat rate shipping of $4.95 for orders within the US only
AKT9 15% for US or international orders (discount taken before shipping costs)

Choose the one code that applies to you or what you want and enter it at the beginning of checkout and then continue on.

Here is a link to their flavorings and extracts page as well:
http://www.spicesetc.com/category/Natural-Flavorings

Hope that helps out! I love the variety that they have given to my repertoire!

rlowry03 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you so much! I can't wait to start trying new flavors. Have you ever tried the chocolate flavor in the glace? When I have brown glace I always expect it to taste like chocolate (despite the fact that I made it and know it doesn't!).

rlowry03 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you so much! I can't wait to start trying new flavors. Have you ever tried the chocolate flavor in the glace? When I have brown glace I always expect it to taste like chocolate (despite the fact that I made it and know it doesn't!).

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 11

I have not tried the chocolate in my icing yet, simply as I have not needed to at this point. I would try it if I needed that flavor though as all others have worked out so well. One thing that you might want to do to help bump up the chocolate flavor in your icing is to add cocoa powder. Regular will give a lighter taste, whereas dark with have a stronger taste and a deeper chocolate color. I would combine this with the chocolate extract and I bet that would work out well. Also, to develop the color richness, let your icing sit overnight. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%