Not Thrilled With My Agbay

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 1:29am by cheatize

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 7

I received my Agbay recently, and I'm finding cutting my mud cakes with it quite difficult.

The blade seems to tilt up and cut at an angle. Unless I hold the cake down, it actually lifts the cake off the bench. If I do hold the cake down, I'm worried I'll cut my finger off if it slips.

I asked here whether people used their on mudcakes and was assured that it went right through them, so what am I doing wrong? It only does a very slightly better job than me with my knife, and takes longer. It's hardly worth me getting it out of the cupboard at the moment.

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 7

I don't make mudcakes, but I do make very moist, heavy cakes.

I have to gently press on the top of the cake to hold it in place on the counter while using my Agbay. I move the leveler slowly left to right with the other hand. I usually put a small piece of parchment paper under my hand on top of the cake.

I go slowly enough, and am usually far enough down the cake, to not worry about getting cut.

I suppose I could use something else to hold the cake to the counter--a plate, a tile, a can-- but I haven't bothered.

I previously used a long knife, but I honestly love the Agbay. So wonderful to have completely level layers and tiers!

Rae

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:06am
post #3 of 7

I did have the same issue a few times but on a cake that was still a little frozen in the middle. I find the trick is to move slow, right to left. and just make sure you do not life up.

I love mine and would never change it.

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:20am
post #4 of 7

I do the same as Blakescakes. I LOVE my Agbay!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 7

Ditto to what Blake says...I hold all my cakes down while slowly sawing through the cake. Try it again and hopefully you'll get better results!

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

I couldn't live without my Agbay!
As others have said, slice it slowly from left to right.
I bake a lot of mud cakes, and the other day one was still a tad frozen in the middle. It was more difficult to cut through, but by going slowly in a gentle sawing action I was able to get through it without a problem. I know you're not supposed to, but I always place my hand on top of the cake to keep it steady. If you're going slow you shouldn't have a problem with slicing off your fingers?? At least I never have - touch wood! icon_wink.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7

Put a piece of shelf liner under the cake to hold it still.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%