Not Thrilled With My Agbay

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 1:29am by cheatize

mcaulir Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 7

I received my Agbay recently, and I'm finding cutting my mud cakes with it quite difficult.

The blade seems to tilt up and cut at an angle. Unless I hold the cake down, it actually lifts the cake off the bench. If I do hold the cake down, I'm worried I'll cut my finger off if it slips.

I asked here whether people used their on mudcakes and was assured that it went right through them, so what am I doing wrong? It only does a very slightly better job than me with my knife, and takes longer. It's hardly worth me getting it out of the cupboard at the moment.

6 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 7

I don't make mudcakes, but I do make very moist, heavy cakes.

I have to gently press on the top of the cake to hold it in place on the counter while using my Agbay. I move the leveler slowly left to right with the other hand. I usually put a small piece of parchment paper under my hand on top of the cake.

I go slowly enough, and am usually far enough down the cake, to not worry about getting cut.

I suppose I could use something else to hold the cake to the counter--a plate, a tile, a can-- but I haven't bothered.

I previously used a long knife, but I honestly love the Agbay. So wonderful to have completely level layers and tiers!

goodiegoddess Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:06am
post #3 of 7

I did have the same issue a few times but on a cake that was still a little frozen in the middle. I find the trick is to move slow, right to left. and just make sure you do not life up.

I love mine and would never change it.

dcarylmk Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:20am
post #4 of 7

I do the same as Blakescakes. I LOVE my Agbay!

Kellbella Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 7

Ditto to what Blake says...I hold all my cakes down while slowly sawing through the cake. Try it again and hopefully you'll get better results!

Michelle84 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

I couldn't live without my Agbay!
As others have said, slice it slowly from left to right.
I bake a lot of mud cakes, and the other day one was still a tad frozen in the middle. It was more difficult to cut through, but by going slowly in a gentle sawing action I was able to get through it without a problem. I know you're not supposed to, but I always place my hand on top of the cake to keep it steady. If you're going slow you shouldn't have a problem with slicing off your fingers?? At least I never have - touch wood! icon_wink.gif

cheatize Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7

Put a piece of shelf liner under the cake to hold it still.

Quote by @%username% on %date%