When Do You Put Your Frosting On Cupcakes?

Baking By Lovelyladylibra Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 12:54am by dstippy

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 10

Just wondering when you get a cupcake order when do you put the frosting on (how long before the customer comes to pick them up or you go deliver)I have a big cupcake order for halloween and I dont like putting frosting on until right before the customer comes to pick up their order. I like for the frosting to taste as fresh as possible... and not crust too much (i really dont like crusting frosting on cupcakes but cant seem to find a nice non-crusting one).

9 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 10

I frost mine right after they are cooled enough to do so. I also bake my cupcakes the same day as the order is for. I use a great non-crusting, fluffy icing. It's from a very old cookbook and it's awesome (I use it also for a mock IMBC or SMBC, as it tastes similar in my opinion).

Soft Icing:

3 TBSP cornstarch
1 cup of milk

1 cup soft butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 tsp. of your choice of flavoring

Place cornstarch in small saucepan, add milk, whisk until cornstarch is dissolved. Heat, but not quite till boiling, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar and flavorings and beat on med - high speed until it looks like whipped cream. Add COOLED milk mixture. Beat on med until it comes together and is fluffy. Makes about 4 cups.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 10

This icing stays soft, glossy and pretty, does not crust. However, it will not hold up in extreme heat/humidity, so is not great for use in the hot summer months.

BTW, I got this recipe off of this site....but I don't know who to credit for it. It is amazing though!

Creamy Whipped Buttercream Icing

4 lbs powdered sugar
2- 12ounce cans evaporated milk
3 lbs unsalted butter, soft
1 lb shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla (or more, to taste)
1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring (or more, to taste)

This makes a BIG batch of icing, so if you don't want that much, I have reduced this recipe to half and even to a fourth, with success.

In mixing bowl, slowly beat powdered sugar and 1 1/2 cans evaporated milk until smooth.
Add soft butter, blend well.
Add shortening, blend well.
Add flavorings and continue beating. Slowly add the remaining evaporated milk and allow icing to blend well. I usually let the mixer run 10-15 mins, until the icing looks perfectly smooth and creamy.

Icing will be soft. Refrigerates firm, so allow to come back to room temperature before serving, if it's been refrigerated.

Getus Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 10

This icing stays soft, glossy and pretty, does not crust. However, it will not hold up in extreme heat/humidity, so is not great for use in the hot summer months.

BTW, I got this recipe off of this site....but I don't know who to credit for it. It is amazing though!

4 lbs powdered sugar
1 lb shortening

This makes a BIG batch of icing, so if you don't want that much, I have reduced this recipe to half and even to a fourth, with success.

In mixing bowl, slowly beat powdered sugar and 1 1/2 cans evaporated milk until smooth.
Add flavorings and continue beating. Slowly add the remaining evaporated milk and allow icing to blend well. I usually let the mixer run 10-15 mins, until the icing looks perfectly smooth and creamy.

Icing will be soft. Refrigerates firm, so allow to come back to room temperature before serving, if it's been refrigerated.

Getus Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 10

4 lbs powdered sugar
1 lb shortening

Getus Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 10

Great, my reply posted 3 times....geez...sorry.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 10

lol its okay it just makes me learn it by heart lol. thnk you both! I just have over 60 cupcakes to do so i was worried about the icing ill test out these recipes this weekend icon_smile.gif

JaniceBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaniceBest Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 10

I like to frost my cupcakes at least two hours before I pack the order. If I frost then pack immediately, the icing gets the box and insert looking messy.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #9 of 10

If it's due the next morning, I frost the night before. If it's due afternoon/evening, I frost the day of. I like to have them done a few hours before just to make sure I have them done and I'm not left scrambling.

dstippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstippy Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:54am
post #10 of 10

CC has had some duplicate posting issues. I posted a cake ONCE a few days ago and it showed up 30 times in my photos! I had to delete them one by one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%