Dusting Colour Onto Fondant???

Decorating By naomiilou Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 1:09am by jules5000

naomiilou Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all needing some advice!

I am hoping to make a 'fishing lure' cake for my brothers birthday and the best way I can think to get the colours right is to cover the cake in fondant and then dust powdered colour on top.

Do you think this will work out ok? Also what kind of powder would I use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 replies
sewsugarqueen Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:48am
post #2 of 3

Have done it many times. Go to a art store, Michaels or dollar store and get several slightly stiff art brushes( really nice to have one for each colour). You can use powdered food colour as in Crystal Colors or the Wilton's stuff that is powdered. Dip dry brush into colour, tap and rub across the fondant.( helps if there is a bit of texture) Edges will catch the colour as well. you can also paint with the dry food colours. You have to have 120 proof vodka ( some people use real lemon juice but I am not sure if that works ask here again) Dip wet brush into powder and work out on tile/dish and paint.
Try not to get colours muddy by putting too many colours over each other.
Hope this helps

jules5000 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:09am
post #3 of 3

were you wanting to do the whole cake with different colored powders or just a touch here and there? Are you thinking of using any luster or petal dusts at all? I know someone suggested getting some stiff brushes, but I have used stiff brushes on fondant and with what I thought was a very light hand and they still left marks that I did not want on the cake. I would suggest getting soft brushes and using a very light hand. I think the idea of a brush for each different color is good for one project until you have that project done. I have "heard" or read that if you dip the brushes in cornstarch after using that this will clean them. Best wishes and if possible put your cake on here for us to see when you are done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%