Help Me Please! Frosting And Fondant

Decorating By SweetPea_HeatherG Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 7:26pm by SweetPea_HeatherG

SweetPea_HeatherG Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 9

Hello! =) How do you color frosting and fondant to the color it's supposed to be? I've tried red, but it comes out pink. I've done black, but it comes out gray. I keep adding color but once it get's to a certain color, it doesn't color anymore.

I am new at this so I would really appreciate your help! I love this website!! =) So many great pictures and very nice people!!

Thank you! Have a beautiful day! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 9

Check out my reply in this thread re: black.
Somewhere on here I also have directions on how to make red icing but can't find the actual thread right now.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7215068.html#7215068

Remember with b'cream these very saturated (deep, dark) colors will darken further over time so make them at least 12-24 hours ahead, then they still will darken a bit more as they are exposed to air. So your gray will probably turn charcol gray after it is on the cake.
Now fondant is a different animal. Colors *lighten* a shade or two as the fondant dries so don't make it too dark icon_smile.gif

shawnteel Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 9

No matter the brand red and black are the hardest colors to achieve. For black I sometimes start out with a brown or purple basethen ass black to it but it takes a LOT of color to get what you are looking for. Same as red, just have to add a LOT to your material to get the shade you desire. The colors will come out more as they sit as well so if you color your frosing maybe the day before you need it, it will darken up some for you.

tiggy2 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnteel

No matter the brand red and black are the hardest colors to achieve. For black I sometimes start out with a brown or purple basethen ass black to it but it takes a LOT of color to get what you are looking for. Same as red, just have to add a LOT to your material to get the shade you desire. The colors will come out more as they sit as well so if you color your frosing maybe the day before you need it, it will darken up some for you.

Not exactly true - Chefmaster liqua gel colors are highly concentrated so you use very little and get red and black instantly. No need to make it the day before and let it sit over night to intensify. I use it in both BC and fondant.

shawnteel Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Tiggy, I will have to try that brand. We experimented in our cake club with many different brands and havent found one that doesnt take a ton of color icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 9

Here;s the quote from a pervious post I made:

Want red icing, you tint the white icing a deep, bold/bright yellow or orange or pink, then add the koolaid to bring out the red w/o that 'paste color taste'. You may also need to use some red, but not near as much.
I taught a class today; I had told them to make red icing - having explained how to add KoolAid....I guess they didn't start w/a bold enough base color as they ended up w/a reddish pink and *very tart* icing - having used *a whole pkg of Koolaid*!!! That's the 1st time that has happend when I have suggested using Koolaid. Also they used on off brand of 'Koolaid' - not the original/real brand.

SweetcakesCT Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 9

With fondant, I've pretty much given up trying to tint my own red or black, and instead, buy the Satin Ice. It's made my life much easier.

letsgetcaking Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 9

Here's a tutorial on making dark/bright red fondant. I haven't tried it yet, but this is the technique I will use if I need a lot of red:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

SweetPea_HeatherG Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much for your help!! I will definitely try some of these tips!! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%