Cake Board Questions

Decorating By evans000 Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 8:17pm by CWR41

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Guys, i normally buy my cake boards from the local cake shop which are the basic silver colour and i like to colour them in fondant to match my cake colour.

Can you buy coloured cake boards? are they expensive? or do you cover your own cake boards if so what with?

I'd like them to look as professional as possible but i always seem to mark the board with my nail or a tool ha ha.

The cake show (ace of cakes) there boards seem to be painted somehow any ideas?

Thanks Helen

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 4

You can cover the boards with fondant several days in advance and let it dry, then it won't pick up nail or tool marks.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 4

I have never seen pre-made colored boards but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I too like to cover my boards with fondant. I cover the board a couple of days ahead of time and let it sit to get hard and that helps to avoid getting the nail marks and little dings in the fondant. I feel like a neatly covered board with a coordinating ribbon completes the cake. I like trying to make my board part of my design.

I have seen some people use wrapping paper or scrap booking paper to cover their board and then use the clear shelving paper to put over that.

Editing to add: As an example of what I like to do with the boards I have a picture my gallery. It is the penguins. I covered the board in blue fondant, painted that with confectioners glaze to make it shiny like ice and then used white royal icing to pipe around the edge of the board to look like snow at the edge of the "pond".

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 4

Cake drums are available in silver, gold, white, and black.

Fanci foil is available in a variety of many colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%