Icing Square Cakes

Decorating By cookiedoescakes Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm by cookiedoescakes

cookiedoescakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 7

I have a real problem icing square cakes. I have searched you tube but the videos arent very helpful.. Can anyone help? icon_cry.gif I dont want to be stuck only making round cakes icon_redface.gif

6 replies
cfpeoples Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 7

You should look into getting Sharon Zambito/ Sugarshack DVDs. They are wonderful!! Perfecting the art of Buttercream and also Flawless Fondant, both show and explain how to ice square cakes also. They are WELL worth the cost. One of the best investments I've made!!

sillywabbitz Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 7

Purchase Perfecting the Art of Buttercream from www.sugaredproductions.com. It is the best money I've spent for decorating.

It will teach you the best way to frost both round and squares. If you look at the latest cake in my photos the bottom tier is square and all tiers are buttercream. Sugar Shack's DVDs are the besticon_smile.gif I recommend them all but the buttercream is my fav. I watch it before I do each cake.

heyjules Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 7

I've found that the pan totally makes a difference for me. I use magic line pans and get perfect square sides. The wilton pans gave me kind of a rounded edge and I didn't like that.

icer101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 7

HI, No matter what brand cake pan you use, if you don,t know how to ice the cake , then it won,t be square. People can use the most expensive square pan, and then round the corners, because they need the help in applying the icing. Yes, Sharon Zambito has the best dvd's on applying buttercream and fondant. But on youtube, there is a alot of help also. So many people apply it so many different ways. You apply a lot of icing, then you take some off, at the corners you go from the corners back toward the center. You do each corner this way. So check out on the internet how to ice a square cake. You will get lots of help. Check out Sharonssugarshack.com hth

Kristie925 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjules

I've found that the pan totally makes a difference for me. I use magic line pans and get perfect square sides. The wilton pans gave me kind of a rounded edge and I didn't like that.

I agree! Making crisp corners is so much easier when you have perfectly square corners to begin with!

cookiedoescakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your responses, I am ordering my DVD ASAP! I Have pans with perfect sharp straight edges but I dont know what im doing with the icing. I have viewed you tube videos but they havent helped me and in this area I need help. Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%