Homemade Vanilla Bean Paste?

Baking By SammieB Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 4:50pm by imagenthatnj

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 14

I have seen tons of posts on here about homemade vanilla, but I can't find anything about making your own paste. In fact, I only found 1 blog with a recipe for it, and they used 3-4 beans split and scraped, 1/2 cup simple syrup, and 1/2 cup vodka.

Is there a reason there are no recipes and you should buy it? Or does the above recipe sound like it would be alright?

13 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 14

Vanilla bean paste, is not really a paste. It's just a concentrated vanilla syrup. I buy it, but I thought I would make my own. I once saw this recipe:

http://www.injennieskitchen.com/2011/01/homemade-vanilla-bean-yogurt.html

It's about the same thing as your recipe. But I do think that I would make it with vanilla extract (even if it's homemade) because that vanilla extract would have been there for a while, getting the flavor from the beans, and it's concentrated.

Vanilla bean paste is just a thicker vanilla extract (that's how I see it).

In the book Desserts by Gordon Ramsey, he's got recipes for all kinds of flavored syrups; they all come from a base sugar stock, and he's got a vanilla one in there. About the same thing as the paste. I'm thinking of making a reduced brandy syrup and also putting vanilla seeds in there with some vanilla extract.

SammieB Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 14

That's kind of what I was trying to figure out. The recipe I had calls for vodka, and the one you posted does not. It didn't seem quite right to me that the only difference between extract and paste would be sugar. But then again, I haven't used the paste before. I've got a package of beans coming in this week, and want to expand to more than just extract and vanilla sugar.

I saw one website where they said they put their beans in a dehydrator then ground them up to have ground vanilla, but I wondered if that didn't take a bit of the flavor out.

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 14

I've seen that too, but I don't like the idea. They do sell vanilla powder out there. I have it just to have an extra something in case too much liquid can't go in a recipe, but don't use it much.

The paste is really thick and syrupy. I know there are brands that have glucose, or corn syrup. I was discussing this with a friend, making it, and I wrote the ingredients somewhere. Have to look for the email. Really, the difference is sugar/syrup, and the seeds. And on the bottle it says that 1 tsp replaces 1 tsp of the other. It's not concentrated or anything.

Gordon's book is gone from everywhere but one place (at a decent price), but here are the links so that you can check in the page where he's got the syrups.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1571457011/?tag=cakecentral-20

http://www.bookdepository.com/Gordon-Ramsay-Desserts-Gordon-Ramsay/9781844008742

And you can only find it here. I was looking for it for months.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwork/15181740/used/Gordon%20Ramsay%20Desserts

SammieB Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the links, I will have to sic my husband on it. He can actually find the needle in the haystack. It's insane how well he can hunt things down.

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 14

The book is available on that alibris link for some reason at a decent price. I already got two of the UK version since it was reprinted in 2010 twice. The US version is gone and I don't want to buy it used for more than $50. Amazon and the Book Depository looked for me for three months...lol...they just sent me letters saying that they give up. But I have it already.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:10am
post #8 of 14

I just ordered his book from Amazon, used in like new condition, with shipping, for $21.86. It's being shipped from a seller here in CA so I should get it fairly soon. Can't wait to get it and check it out. I'm gonna have to stop buying books, though....I'm getting too many!! But there's always something out there I wanna try!!

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:49am
post #9 of 14

Mine were new, from Alibris, for the same amount, don't remember if they charged me for shipping, but it came to $22 each, I think. Weird but I had to google to find it; inside Alibris you won't find it. So many books out there, lol.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 6:33am
post #10 of 14

I ordered mine from Alibris on 9/24 and it's not here yet. So don't be in a hurry.

scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 6:36am
post #11 of 14

Just a thought:

I actually like the taste that NM VBP adds to baked goods. My offerings aren't overly sweet, so the VBP adds another flavor. I usually use both VBP and homemade. In ganache, if you want to sweeten it or just make it slightly thinner, VBP is perfect. I will still be making my own when the book comes in.

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I ordered mine from Alibris on 9/24 and it's not here yet. So don't be in a hurry.

You know Susan, when I ordered my books it said it would ship from California. I get books from Amazon and also from The Book Depository in England when I can't find them here. The Book Depository have cheaper books and charge no shipping. But Book Depository was just bought by Amazon. Plus, they didn't have the book.

What's strange is that when Alibris sent it to me, the book came from the UK, not from California. It even had a "book depository" bookmark inside! So I'm not sure what's going on. Chances are, your book will take a while if it comes from the UK.

scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 14

I used Paypal, so I'm not worried... I just want it! Paypal reports that the status is not complete. I just don't have much faith in USPS.

imagenthatnj Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I used Paypal, so I'm not worried... I just want it! Paypal reports that the status is not complete. I just don't have much faith in USPS.

My friend from NZ once ordered a book for me from the UK to be shipped to my house. When I didn't get it for a full month, se sent them an email. They said they had sent it long ago, and they sent another one. A week later, I got two boxes, each with the same book. I don't know where the first one had been. Good thing I am never in a hurry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%