Cake Layer Stacking

Decorating By creativeconfections Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 2:25pm by cakegirl1973

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

We are working on a wedding cake where we have 3 layered tiers. The layers are not the normal 2" + - each but thinner like 1 1/2" + -. My concern is the bottom tier is 14" round - what are your thoughts on the 3 cakes layered together? Do you think we will have an issue with bulging or collapsing. I'm not concerned with the 10" tier or the 6" tier just the bottom 14" one. We don't want to have to cardboard between the layers - the couple want a chocolate layer, marble layer and then a white layer for dramatic affect.

Looking forward to your advice and responses.

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

Normally there is 4" of cake in a tier. Your tier will have 4.5". No problem.

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 5

I guess our concern is will the bottom cake layer blow out because it had the weight of the 2nd and 3rd layer on top of it?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 5

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand your concern. This cake will have the *least* little bit of added weight. Are you routinely having trouble with the bottom layer (not tier) blowing out?

And PS, I don't even understand how a cake can blow out. Icing yes, but not the cake itself.

Really, this is not a problem. Many, many people make tiers that are 5" - 6" tall.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeconfections

I guess our concern is will the bottom cake layer blow out because it had the weight of the 2nd and 3rd layer on top of it?

The supports for your cakes are what holds the weight of the 2nd and 3rd tiers, not the cake below it. So, as long as your cake has the support it needs, it will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%