Homemade Buttercream Fondant

Baking By RR218 Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 2:37pm by RR218

RR218 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 7

I have been using this recipe for buttercream fondant: 1 cup corn syrup, 1 cup crisco, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp clear vanilla extract, and 2 lbs powdered sugar. I got this recipe from a few different websites and the people who posted the recipe seem to have no problems with it. My problem is that when I make the fondant 24 hours ahead of time or right before I need the fondant it turns out greasy and I can't seem to roll out the fondant without it breaking when i put it on cakes. The only solution I have come up with is to use small pieces. I am trying to figure out a way to cover a cake with 1 piece of rolled fondant rather than small pieces. Can anyone help me?

6 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 7

That's rolled buttercream. It's horrid to work with on anything larger than a cookie.

RR218 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

Adding to my post.... Could it have anything to do with me living in Georgia? Humidity is ridiculous. Could anyone give me a recipe that tastes good and that is easier to cover a whole cake with one piece of fondant. Any help is appreciated.

cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

That's rolled buttercream. It's horrid to work with on anything larger than a cookie.

I agree with leah_s. I've used it for cookies and cupcakes, which works just fine. If you try to cover a cake with it, it will tear.

leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 7

Just use a fondant recipe - not rolled butter cream. I only use commercial fondant, but a lot of people on here swear by Michelle Foster's Fondant. It's in the recipe section.

cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Just use a fondant recipe - not rolled butter cream. I only use commercial fondant, but a lot of people on here swear by Michelle Foster's Fondant. It's in the recipe section.

I used to only use Satin Ice fondant, but I switched to exclusively using Michelle Foster's fondant. It's easy to make (takes a little bit of time, though) and it tastes very good. It's very easy to work with--I've never had a problem with it!

RR218 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 7

Thank ya'll for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%