Bleeding Dye

Decorating By lmuniz07 Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 6:40pm by lmuniz07

lmuniz07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmuniz07 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:03am
post #1 of 5

Every time I dye my icing black it bleeds. Ex. I made my son a mickey mouse cake and the next day the eyes had hot pink color around the edges. Why does this keep happening to me?

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:57am
post #2 of 5

I don't have the same problem, so I don't know what's going on with your icing. What kind of icing are you using to begin with? Are you starting with white icing and using a ton of black food coloring to get it that dark, or do you start with a chocolate icing?

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 5

What brand of gel colouring are you using?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 5

When you color your icing, actually color it ahead of time, get it to a dark gray and let that sit. The black will often darken and you won't have to use as much coloring.

The only time I've had black bleed is when I left out the meringue powder in the icing. I know people will say you don't have to have it, but for me it does help keep dark colors to them selves, even using Wilton's colors that everyone seems to hate.

lmuniz07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmuniz07 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 5

I just use buttercream frosting... And my teacher told me before that she never had it happen to her with that icing so she didn't know why. Maybe I am using too much black dye. I think I will try and let it sit once it's dark gray. Thanks for advice everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%