At The End Of My Rope With This Customer...?

Decorating By Bri122005 Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 2:21am by Bridgette1129

Bri122005 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:09am
post #1 of 26

I'm really hoping someone here can help me. I got a call last week from a mom giving her daughter a 30th bday party. She said her daughter likes car races and wanted to know if I could do a cake for Oct 17th. So, I draw a topsy turvey sketch with Nascar stripes as bottom tier, checker board flag as middle and top was a yellow with a black "road" swirling around it. There was a race car on top. She replied that this cake wasn't what she was looking for and adds that her daughter grew up in west virginia and is really into WV college football. So, I sent another sketch today....3 birthday boxes stacked on top of each other. The top one opened with a WV football and a race car key chain coming out. She emailed me back tonight that the cake is beautiful but not what she's looking for. Maybe I could do something with leaves falling and fall colors. Keep the football but lose the race car...something about a west viriginia girl turning 30. What in the world....??? I've spent hours just thinking about and sketching this cake now, and I'm getting really frustrated with this mother. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I'm going to bed now!!! It's been a really long day. Thank you if you have any advice!!!

25 replies
Sorelle Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:25am
post #2 of 26

I sure hope you are not giving her the sketches, the last thing you need is to work like a dog just to have her give the sketch to another baker! !

Sorelle Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:26am
post #3 of 26

I sure hope you are not giving her the sketches, the last thing you need is to work like a dog just to have her give the sketch to another baker! !

cakelady2266 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:29am
post #4 of 26

Ask your self this...is the money worth the aggravation? She doesn't know what she wants and probably won't be pleased with what you do. If it were me I'd cut my loses and send her elsewhere. Keep your chin up and good luck.

Bri122005 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 26

Thank you for the replies.... I don't know what I'm going to do...? I sent the client a message telling her I won't be able to think about her cake again until next week. I'm hoping she will move on, but if she doesn't, I'll get a cake done and make sure she pays in cash. We'll see what happens. Thanks again! I'm off to bake now!

BARBARAJEAN Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 26

You might want to ask her to send you a sketch or a picture that is close to what she wants. Put the ball in her court.

geri4292adams Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 26

CUT THE ROPE!

ljchevygirl Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 26

Yes, tell her to sketch what she has in mind or cut the rope. I don't think she will be happy either way.

Bri122005 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by geri4292adams

CUT THE ROPE!

icon_biggrin.gif

In the email this morning, I also sent her the new price for the cake now that she has doubled her guest list and asked for new decorations. I'm kinda thinking that the $250 bill will cut the rope on it's on.

This cake would get me exposure in a group of ppl who haven't seen or tasted my cakes. I would like this all to work out, but I have a huge 7 tier cake due saturday. So, in the email this morning I told her I needed some clear info or I wouldn't be able to help her any further. I'll let everyone know what happens and post a pic of the cake if it all works. Thanks again!

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 26

Like other members have said it looks like she is telling you one idea..and then another...etc...Ask her to send you a sketch or cakes pictures from the web of what she has in mind..At some point you have to be firm and tell her that she needs to decide...I have a regular doing this to me right now also and Yes...it is frustrating..Finally I told her nicely that I don't think there is any design I can make her for her budget and I won't send any more pictures or waste my time until she comitts to a date and deposit.

cnsa143 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 26

tell her that her daughter is too old for a cake and what kinda crazy idea is a wv girl turning 30/race car and leaves falling cake??sounds like shes been smoking pot and is just hungry or stupid either one id tell her to take a hike in the wv mts with the leaves falling crazy woman.

vtcake Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 26

cnsa143, you have the wrong idea how this thing works.

Olivia02 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 26

LMAO. UR SO FUNNY cnsa143. BUT I AM 32 AND LOVE GETTING A CAKE EVERY YEAR BECAUSE I AM A SWEET DESSERT PERSON.

madicakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARAJEAN

You might want to ask her to send you a sketch or a picture that is close to what she wants. Put the ball in her court.

I would ask her to do this OR just cut the rope, cause it sounds like she probably won't be happy regardless.

knlcox Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:39pm
post #15 of 26

csna143, I would love to be a fly on the wall when you have your cake consultations with potential clients! lol You really made me laugh.!

I agree with everyone on CUTTING this person loose. She seems the type that will NOT be satisfied with the end result no matter how much she agreed on any design. You may be looking at a future partial refund with this one if she's this unhappy now with only sketches.

QTCakes1 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

cnsa143, you have the wrong idea how this thing works.

I think that post is one of those fake post we get from time to time. Who post that the first time? Ignore.

I feel your frustration, cause that's a lot of back and forth. Good luck.

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 26

Give this woman three choices:

She can A) send you a picture of something she likes and you will use that as a design guide or
B) she can give you a theme and give you creative license to make a beautiful cake or
C) find another baker.

Tell her you need a decision and a non-refundable deposit by this Friday and that there can be no changes to the design or you will be unable to make her a cake. (if it were me I'd be getting the whole payment up front)

Also, absolutely positively DO NOT send this woman any sketches until you get some $$$$.

BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:05pm
post #18 of 26

I hope she is just very scattered, lol and not trying to steal your ideas for herself or other baker. Walk away quickly, icon_wink.gif

Bri122005 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:12pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsa143

tell her that her daughter is too old for a cake and what kinda crazy idea is a wv girl turning 30/race car and leaves falling cake??sounds like shes been smoking pot and is just hungry or stupid either one id tell her to take a hike in the wv mts with the leaves falling crazy woman.

This entire situation has been worth the headache just to read this comment! Too funny!!!

Bri122005 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:13pm
post #20 of 26

To update everyone who posted, the mother did finally decide on a cake sketch. The cake was delivered yesterday, and I was paid in cash. I have a friend who works at the venue where they had the party, and she said they loved the cake. So, all's well that ends well. yeah! I'm going to try to attach a picture of the final cake (it has NOTHING to do with nascar or sports, but whatever! icon_lol.gif )

Bri122005 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm
post #21 of 26

It didn't attach, so I posted it in my pics if you want to see.

kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:02am
post #22 of 26

So *which* cake in your pix is it?

Bri122005 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:18am
post #23 of 26

I'm sorry, i can't get it to upload into my pictures either. I've tried twice now and it's just not going. Maybe too much activity on here tonight..? I'll try again tho - wish me luck!

Daani Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 8:04pm
post #24 of 26

csna143, your comment made me laugh BUT one is never too old for CAKE!!!!!!
Happy to hear that everything worked out well....I guess the mother was just a bit of scatterbrain icon_smile.gif

Bri122005 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:46am
post #25 of 26

Finally got the pic to upload into my pictures. Yeah! I'm sorry it took so long...

Bridgette1129 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 2:21am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri122005

Finally got the pic to upload into my pictures. Yeah! I'm sorry it took so long...

Good job!! Glad she wasn't a headache in the end and that you got paid thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%