White Chocolate Ganache

Baking By GracieJean Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 1:19am by GracieJean

GracieJean Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:11am
post #1 of 10

Trying to make my first batch of this stuff and as the ratio of chocolate to cream is 3:1 I have had to microwave over and over and over to try and get every last bit of unmelted chocolate. Geez those little chips just don't wanna melt icon_razz.gif

Anywho, as I keep heating it, it keeps getting darker. Is this OK/normal? It doesn't look or smell burnt and it will be under fondant but I'm just wondering if I could be doing something wrong.

It also keeps bubbling up in the microwave which is freaking me so I won't let it go too long in there.

I have watched a good set of videos but these things weren't really covered and maybe that's because they're normal? O_o

9 replies
kmstreepey Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:20am
post #2 of 10

Are you using chocolate chips? If so, they do resist melting all the way. It's always better to use real white chocolate, not chips. In any case, though, it's not normal for it to be turning dark in color. It sounds like you are burning the chocolate a bit. The chocolate will hold it's shape even if it is melted, so it is best to proceed slowly and stir well between short bursts in the microwave. If it is mostly melted, you should be able to just stir and the few remaining should melt.

I actually use a slightly different method to make my ganache. I heat the cream on the stovetop in a heavy saucepan until it is steaming, then add finely chopped chocolate to the heated cream. Take it off the heat and let it sit for a minute or two, then whisk until it is smooth.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

jules5000 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #3 of 10

Graciejean: I do not trust the microwave myself at least as far as melting cho. goes. I do not have a powerful microwave and yet even with in a few seconds my white chocolate burned and boy did it smell nasty. Horrible is a better word. My advice to you would be to use a double boiler or a glass bowl set over a pan of water and melt them the old fashioned way. I don't know if you are using the chocolate that wilton sells or reg. white baking chips at the grocery store, but may I make another suggestion. use a white chocolate baking bar. I have never had any problems ever using a double boiler, but I have never had my white chocolate turn colors on me either. This makes me wonder about the quality of the chips you got.

MommieK Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:25am
post #4 of 10

That's the same method I use, heating the cream first, less chance of messing up and seizing the chocolate. Give it a try, even with the chips if that's all you have.

GracieJean Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:33am
post #5 of 10

I bought Hershey's white chocolate baking chips. It was that or a bar that cost twice as much per oz and for my first time I didn't want to spend too much.

My microwave is pretty powerful so I was afraid to let it go too long. I think I will try to find those wafer-like white chips next time.

Also, after it is all melted and mixed together do I then let it sit for the night and the next day whip it? How do I whip it into an icing? This stuff is tough to whip with a wisk (I'm a lazy weakling) so could I use an electric beater to whip it up?

brenda549 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 10

I whip mine in my KitchenAid.

Most directions you find will say let it sit out for 24 hours (covered with some plastic wrap touching the top of the chocolate to prevent a film) before whipping it. However, I have let mine cool to room temp and then let it sit out for only a few hours (3-4). It whipped up just fine. icon_smile.gif

kmstreepey Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 10

You can whip it if you like, it is delicious that way, but you don't have to. Once it cools a little, it should be a nice frosting-like consistency that you can just spread on and smooth.

GracieJean Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 10

I'm not sure when I'll try the white again. It's been kind of a nightmare. Today I tried to whip it up, didn't get to the consistency I felt it should but it was usable. When I had to microwave it again for 30 sec to soften it back up it got too soft so I had to wait and then it was like the cream or some liquid was sitting on top. I could see little whitish puddles. Grrr.

Anyway, I'm going to try the regular chocolate next time and see how that works. This stuff just got greasy and took too much patience.

auzzi Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 10

3:1 does okay for milk chocolate but not for white chocolate.

As it is not really "chocolate", it's more difficult to make into ganache.

Depending upon the brand of white chocolate, the ratio is 4:1 and somtimes 4.5:1

GracieJean Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:19am
post #10 of 10

Hmm...OK. Thanks for that tip. Maaaybe I'll try working with the white again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%