Tie Dye Cake?

Decorating By luckyduckcakes Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 2:15pm by rach1989

luckyduckcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyduckcakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:16am
post #1 of 3

Hi all--

First of all, I'm new to this as of a few minutes ago! Always a reader, now a user! WOOHOO!

Anyway, I've been asked to make my MIL's 50th birthday cake. She is a hippie at heart, and loves tie dye and peace signs, so I thought about making a tie dyed cake (on the outside-- not the inside). Should I use color spray? I don't want to cover the cake in fondant, she doesn't like that. Anyone ever make a tie dye cake who could share a picture with me?

Any and all suggestions welcome, please!

2 replies
KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 3

I have never done it . . but I am thinking . . . .

If you have a bowl of white buttercream and you throw a few colors into it .. as you mix it it will make streaks and look kinda cool . . then if you spoon it out on top of the cake and spin your cake wheel as you use your spatula to level off the top frosting . it should . . in theory . . . . start to be pulled in circular motions . . . . and look kinda cool ??

Dunno . .. just thinking it out in my head lol

rach1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach1989 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 3

Iv only made the sponge as tye dye but as kuyaromeo said doing this motion with the buttercream and only mixing it slightly u will get the tye dye effect from this or u could try putting four differnt colour icing into a piping bag and u will get this effect as u pipe it onto the cake this works well aswell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%