What Color To Use To Make Red Fondant? Toy Story Theme!!

Decorating By EvieliciousCakes Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 12:46am by cownsj

EvieliciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvieliciousCakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:12am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how to make that bright red color? i tried the wilton red and christmas red but it looks PINK!! im making a toy story theme cake and the main character is Jessie with the red hat icon_sad.gif please help!!!!
oh almost forgot I also bought the red sugar sheets and they look hot pink! nothing like the picture icon_sad.gif wasted money on nothing!! icon_sad.gif

5 replies
BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:32am
post #2 of 6

I buy red fondant (Satin Ice). Otherwise, you need to use A LOT of gel food coloring to get true red. I have done it with Americolor Super Red... But, for me, it's just easier to buy solid black or red fondant than try to color it myself.

Good luck!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6

I know this is going to sound sort of odd but start by coloring it pink. Not with a lil bit of red, but with a very pink color. Then when you get a good strong pink, add your red coloring.
An art teacher gave me this tip when I needed to make Elmo Red. I seriously thought she was nuts, but it worked wonderfully and you end up using only half of what you would have just trying to get a decent red on its own. Seriously, its the only way I make red now.

(She explained to me that when trying to make red out of white, you will essentially get pink, the old rule red + white = pink, right? So if you start with pink you have already bypassed the first basic rule).

Good luck.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:39am
post #4 of 6

I know this is going to sound sort of odd but start by coloring it pink. Not with a lil bit of red, but with a very pink color. Then when you get a good strong pink, add your red coloring.
An art teacher gave me this tip when I needed to make Elmo Red. I seriously thought she was nuts, but it worked wonderfully and you end up using only half of what you would have just trying to get a decent red on its own. Seriously, its the only way I make red now.

(She explained to me that when trying to make red out of white, you will essentially get pink, the old rule red + white = pink, right? So if you start with pink you have already bypassed the first basic rule).

Good luck.

EvieliciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvieliciousCakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:43am
post #5 of 6

i tried the pink technique and no luck.. idk if with so many colors i just dont know what colors i see lol or i need to get my eyes checked icon_sad.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:46am
post #6 of 6

Like BakedAlaska said, buy it. I always buy my red and black fondant. Even if you can get enough color into it, it will change the taste. And not worth all the work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%