Shopping - Cake Related Items In The Us? (Idaho/washington)

Decorating By Polarcakes Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 5:13am by BrandeR

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 12

I will be visiting the states in the next week or so ( Idaho/Washington areas if that helps). I was wondering what items I could pick up/ship back home to Canada, that we can`t already get here.

I have already begun a list that includes various types of mixes (DH, Pillsburry, Betty Crocker in different flavors.) As well, if you know of any stores or places to save money.

Thanks for any help.

11 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 12

Here's what I always buy: Viva paper towels, Americolor gels, tylose powder, Jello white chocolate instant pudding (although it's getting harder to find all the time!)

I'll let you know if there's anything else that I think of!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Here's what I always buy: Viva paper towels, Americolor gels, tylose powder, Jello white chocolate instant pudding (although it's getting harder to find all the time!)

I'll let you know if there's anything else that I think of!

I second that for VIVA!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 12

I always stock up on Cake mixes especially the flavors you can't get here like Red velvet and strawberry..

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 12

Last time I was in the states, I got some neat sprinkles in the grocery store. Due to allergies, I can not buy in bulk or any of the CK sprinkles so the grocery store ones were a great find for me!

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for your ideas everyone. Any other suggestions? icon_smile.gif

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 12

I live in WA, the best places to shop as far as grocery stores go would be Albertson's (if there's a sale on cake mixes, you can get them $1 or less), or Fred Meyer's. Safeway can be expensive and their sales are usually not that great.

I unfortunately don't know any bulk stores that sell things cheaper, except for like Costco but you need a membership and if they have cake mix, it'll be one basic flavor like chocolate.

I'm new to cake decorating so I have not scoped out any stores that sell sprinkles and specialty items.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 12

Winco usually has good prices on single cake mixes. Cash n Carry has bulk cake mixes usually just in vanilla and chocolate. They also carry Pastry Pride and sleeves of cake fillings (lemon, raspberry, etc. Varies by store I imagine.) There is a cake store in Seattle (Home Cake) that has all kinds of cake stuff if you'll be in that area. It's a jumbled little hole in the wall but she has lots of supplies (including a large quantity of Americolor gels) and she knows where everything is if you can't seem to find it. icon_smile.gif

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

Winco usually has good prices on single cake mixes.

I have only been to Winco once, but I was about to add that she might try looking there! It's like a mix between Costco sizes and grocery store prices. Good tip!

I also need to go to that store in Seattle you mentioned icon_wink.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 12

I will third the suggestion of Home Cake in Seattle. The proprietress is extremely knowledgable and helpful--she's even talked me out of buying something because she told me how do it cheaper a different way. She has regular gel colors and also colors for chocolate (oil-based, so they don't make the chocolate seize); a million flower stamens; books, cake pans, hundreds of those acrylic chocolate molds (e.g., 20 one-sided easter eggs on one sheet), cutters, plastic doodads, dragees, tiny royal icing flowers--the list of inventory is incredible. If you can think of it, ask her.

rahu123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rahu123 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:25am
post #11 of 12

thanks everyone for sharing..

BrandeR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandeR Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:13am
post #12 of 12

Are you going to the Seattle area, or more towards Spokane?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%