Can I Halve A Cupcake Recipe?

Baking By Cream Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 11:34pm by shuswapcakes

Cream Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 4

hi all

I'm in the process of starting up an online Cupcakery. I'm totally scared and excited all at the same time and I'd love some advice. The majority of my batters make 20-24 cupcakes. I don't want to rip off the general public by stating that a minimum of 12 cupcakes can be ordered and only in one flavour. However I don't want to be out of pocket if I have loads left over if they order several flavours! Is it ok therefore to halve the batters or would this mess up the chemistry?

Any advice would be lovely

Thankyou so much!

3 replies
VioletVision Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 4

In my experience, halving batters works fine, but I only make scratch cakes, not box mixes.
It is general practice in the UK to have a minimum order of 6 cupcakes for orders.
Have you thought about freezing any cupcakes you have got left? I don't freeze but I believe it works OK. At least you won't waste the extras.

Cream Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 4

I'm from the uk myself but most cupcake bakery's in and around my area operate with a min if 12 cupcakes. I'll try experimenting with halving batters. Generally I dont freeze my cupcakes as the wrappers often come away which us a pain. Thanks for ur advice! icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 4

I've only had a problem once with reducing the recipe but I think that was because I over measured one of the ingredients. All other times it's worked out great. I would definitely experiment and do some taste tests first before sending them off! Good luck with your new cake business - how exciting!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%