Need A New Buttercream Recipe For A Picky Couple

Baking By lmnissen Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 8:11am by sweettreat101

lmnissen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmnissen Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

The bride(who happens to be a good friend) changed her mind, a few days before the wedding, about the buttercream and now I need a new recipe. She told me she doesn't want the shortening based buttercreams they tried. They were too sweet, and greasy. The recipes they tried were Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream and Buttercream Dream, my usuals for cakes covered in fondant that need to sit out. Now I desperately need a recipe for a fondant covered cake that can sit out for a day, and isn't too sweet or greasy. Ideally they want a buttercream they had that I'm making for another cake, but that is a butter based recipe. I tried to explain that I couldn't cover the cake in fondant and have it sit out with that recipe. Also, it makes it difficult because her fiance is a student at the culinary institute and they're food snobs. At least they love the cake! I'm going out of my mind looking for a good tasting recipe that I can make the day before, requires no refrigeration and will hold up to 4 tiers and fondant. Also the cake is a WASC and the filling is a simple strawberry filling. Help!! I need to go shopping for new ingredients tonight.

5 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 6

A butter based buttercream can stay out for a day. I was taught this a while back and have since left my buttercreams out without any problem. Just keep it in a cool place. In the summer I keep it close to an air conditioning vent. In the winter I keep my house at 65 degrees, never have had a problem.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 6

If he's a culinary student ask him what recipe wants you to use and tell him he's responsible for the outcome. If it's not outside in the heat a butter based icing can sit out all day. I don't refrigerate any of my cakes and use a butter based icing.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 6

Use IMBC or SMBC, they can both sit out unrefrigerated for multiple days. They can be covered in fondant, just chill the buttercream until hard and then cover. I put my buttercreamed cake in the freezer for 10-15 minutes then cover with fondant. You get a little bit of sweating (just leave it out at room temp and it will evaporate and dry up) but you can get the nice edges when it's chilled really hard.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 6

Yes to all of that.

If you are concerned about sweating, box and wrap well. take of wrap after it has come up to temp.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:11am
post #6 of 6

Do you use Hi ratio shortening in your frostings? I find that when I use Hi ratio my butter cream doesn't turn into that grease slick you get in your mouth. I have been using this recipe for twelve years. I have tried other recipes but end up going back to my go to recipe. 2 pounds C&H powdered sugar, 1 stick salted butter, 1 1/2 cups Hi ratio shortening, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla, 1/3 cup water. Whip until fluffy. This is a crusting butter cream so it works wonderfully under fondant. Using salted butter helps cut down the sweetness. You can also use milk or non dairy coffee creamers instead of water. I don't use Crisco anymore since they took out the trans fat. Colors and liquids don't mix well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%