What Is This Fuzzy Stuff?

Decorating By grandmomof1 Updated 17 Dec 2011 , 10:23pm by grandmomof1

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 27

What is the fuzzy stuff in the floral part of this cake and how would you make it?

http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/81995/detailview.aspx?id=81995&type=3&wedding+details=cake&colors=white

26 replies
RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 27

That link is not working for me... I received a Forbidden error.

grandmomof1 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 27

Try again. I reposted the link

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 27

I couldn't access the site because Im not a member but I think you may be talking about cocoa butter that comes in a spray can. It looks velvety almost like suede, it comes in several colors. Depending on thickness it is it can look fuzzy too.hth

Now, I think I'll go register that looks like an interesting site. icon_smile.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 27

kinda looks like individual boa feathers to me

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 27

It looks a little like feathers, but it's most likely something like the feather-like "ribbon/yarn" found in the paper crafting/notions area of a store like Michael's. You might need to wire it, but it wouldn't take much more than a fine jewelry wire. Good luck!

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 27

It looks a little like feathers, but it's most likely something like the feather-like "ribbon/yarn" found in the paper crafting/notions area of a store like Michael's. You might need to wire it, but it wouldn't take much more than a fine jewelry wire. Good luck!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 27

They do look like wired feather. Personally, I wouldn't use feathers on cakes. I don't see much difference between feathers and hair.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

They do look like wired feather. Personally, I wouldn't use feathers on cakes. I don't see much difference between feathers and hair.

Oh man, that's gross. And you know what...you're right. I will never incorporate feathers into a design again. You ruined it for me. icon_sad.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 27

Looks like feathers you'd find in a craft store...or it could be made out of paper. icon_confused.gif

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 27

ostritch feathers which you can buy from a supplier that has specifically cleaned them for food use such as cake decor and bouquets. This cake is beautiful as are the other ones on THE KNOT, but Except for ribbons on bottom tiers let's leave feathers, tulle, fake ribbon off of wedding cakes. There are several gumpaste tutorials on the internet for gumpaste feathers, but if the bride wants real feathers . . .

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 27

I do wish I could see this cake. Is it like the famous Linda Fripp designs made with rice paper?

http://www.lindafrippcakes.com/ourcakes/contemporary/index.html

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 27

BizCoCos Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 27

imaginethat, the original poster is referencing a cake on the website theknot, membership is free, it's just what they call ostritch floss and is only several pcs on the middle tier I believe

BizCoCos Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 27

ok, someone posted the pic,not wired, ostrich floss

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 27

I saw that. Not rice paper at all. I'm not even sure it's necessary to have it there. But I don't hate it totally, or think it's disgusting. lol

It is not touching the cake after all.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:00am
post #17 of 27

I just did a replica of that cake! (and OMG it was huge and had to get delivered on the pedestal too..... crazy delivery but we made it!)

I couldn't find EXACTLY that in the right color so I got an ostrich feather and just cut off a few pieces towards the bottom. Worked great. They really aren't touching the cake, just the sugar work.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:26am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif I never thought about it like that, but now that you've said it, yup, I'm with ya. No feathers on cakes here!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:49am
post #19 of 27

Ostriches floss?

BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:37pm
post #20 of 27

ostrich floss , that's what it's called:

These beautiful ostrich floss feathers have soft fluffy fibres that hang down giving a draped look. Their stems are narrow and are pliable. These are perfect for crafts, costumes, masks, displaying in arrangements for centerpieces and much more. quoted directly from Piako site in Zura, New Zealand, sold all over including USA Back in the late 60' and 70's my Mother's clients ordered them for decoration on their glam dresses, LOL

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Ostriches floss?

hahahahahahaha

grandmomof1 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #22 of 27

Okay, if I can't find it at Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's, where do I look for this?

grandmomof1 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 5:59pm
post #23 of 27

Okay, I know what the fuzzy stuff is now, but how in the world would you transport this cake? PLEASE HELP!!

BizCoCos Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:16pm
post #24 of 27

I would transport it in the same manner most cakes are transported. My method for this one --in a box larger than the cake on a pedestal secured by heavy styrofoam (the pedestal would rest inside partially, then I loosely wrapped bubble wrap carefully inder and around the bow. I hope I am explaining this well. Then set the box on non slip mat. Have youbegun the cake yet, don't forget to post pics.

grandmomof1 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:24pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizCoCos

I would transport it in the same manner most cakes are transported. My method for this one --in a box larger than the cake on a pedestal secured by heavy styrofoam (the pedestal would rest inside partially, then I loosely wrapped bubble wrap carefully inder and around the bow. I hope I am explaining this well. Then set the box on non slip mat. Have youbegun the cake yet, don't forget to post pics.

Yes I have started making it, just not put together yet, and you just answered the question like I was afraid someone would answer it. A three tier cake with hanging loops on a pedestal, yikes. The loops hang below the pedestal plate making it hard to stabilize the pedestal for fear of breaking the loops. I contemplated putting the loops and flowers on at the site, but really didn't want to do that either. If I break something there, it would be harder to repair.......(might have to repair it anyway)

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 7:38pm
post #26 of 27

I made it and delivered it as shown in the picture. You're right, it's too much to assemble on site and too much to try to box. My assistant drove the car sloooooowly and i sat in the back of the car on the floor straddling the cake and holding it. Then I rode the bell cart up to the reception room (hotel) the same say. Got a few gray hairs that day but it worked perfectly!

grandmomof1 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 10:23pm
post #27 of 27

KoryAk, well I delivered it fully assembled and on the pedestal. I must say it was the most stressful delivery I have ever made. A three tier wedding cake on a pedestal is not the most stable way to deliver a cake. I put my magnet, "Cake Delivery in Progress," on the back of my SUV and took my time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%