Work Issues

Decorating By mommy1st Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 9:01pm by mommy1st

mommy1st Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 9

I work in a grocery store bakery that had up until end of August had 3 decorators. One was transfered to a store closer to where she lives. The stores 2 decorators both had quit. I don't blame her for accepting the transfer with gas as it is. We were told that due to the drastic shortage of decorators in the company, that it would be a couple of months before they would be able to replace her. They still had too many stores with either no decorators or only 1. After hearing that, the other decorator I worked with took off for medical issues. (I would be more understanding, but right before she said she couldn't work they had asked her to start working a later shift to help cover the missing decorator). Still haven't heard exactly what is wrong, but that is between her and the store. So since the beginning of Sept. I have been working 6 days a week, and can't even begin to keep up. I had a friend of mine who is an experienced decorator that I suggested calling and applying for a job. She has over 15 yrs experience and is quite good. The company called her talked to her several times, even benched tested her and complemented her work. They then offered her the job at minimun wage. She told them that sorry, but with her experience that she couldn't take it at what they offered. They replied that with the economy as it was there are decorators lining up for the position. (What!!!!), Now I understand why they can't get any decorators to work for them . Time to start looking elsewhere.

8 replies
BizCoCos Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 9

It's a shame that not giving employees a fair wage based on talent is blamed on the recession. Yes, you must be exhausted, hope you find something soon.

carmijok Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 9

Why should they worry about hiring someone at a decent wage when they have you taking on all the responsibility without paying another salary and benefits? This is a perfect time for you to go to your employers and tell them if you're taking on a job that used to be divided among three people, then you need to be paid at least twice what you're getting now. Because if they don't have you, they will soon have no one...and no one will want to be hired at minimum wage to take on the entire decorating duties of one store...especially someone new and untrained.

Trust me, the store managers want to keep their operating costs down so they will look good to the corporation and no doubt secure bonuses for themselves for running such an 'efficient' operation.

I certainly have no problem with people getting bonuses when they're earned fairly...but I've seen this and experienced this type of 'management' before. Right now they are taking advantage of you and really don't care as long as the work is done!

What I would do is schedule a meeting with whoever is the main boss...and calmly tell them why they either need to pay you more or hire someone asap. Have notes in front of you listing everything you do during the day so you can talk about it and not get sidetracked with emotion. Tell them about what your friend said...that she was told they had people lining up waiting for this job which is why they could not afford more than minimum wage and you know this is not true. Tell them you feel you're being overlooked, under-appreciated and that you wish to be either compensated fairly or they need to hire someone else in at a decent salary so you can go back to a normal life.

Only you can be the one to let others walk on you. You sound like a hard-working employee that I'm sure they don't want to lose. But they won't know how you feel unless you tell them.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 9

And then they want to know why we are in a reccession. 15 years expierence and they wanted to give her minimum wage. Sheesh! I'll be wishing you luck!

QTCakes1 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 9

And then they want to know why we are in a reccession. 15 years expierence and they wanted to give her minimum wage. Sheesh! I'll be wishing you luck!

cakesdivine Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:54am
post #6 of 9

Wow back in the 90's when I worked for grocery stores I started at $10.50 an hour and min wage at that time was $5. By the time I ended working at the grocery stores (in 2003) I was making over $16! Unbelieveable that the pay rate for decorators has dropped that drastically! YIKES!

Mexx Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 9

No amount of financial compensation can alleviate your stress and give you the appropriate time off to enjoy a healthy quality of life. Rather than discuss with your employer an increased salary, I think you should let them know that you are unable to continue to work 6 days a week (and undoubtedly) longer work days. Let them know that they must hire at least one other decorator. Don't know if your employer pays for your medical benefits, but if so, you might suggest that you'll become so run down that you'll have to take medical leave to recuperate. What will they do then? I wouldn't threaten them just lay it out in a calm, thoughtful person cannot reasonably expect to do the work that 3 did previously.

Baker_Rose Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 9

I'm not sure when cake decorators became an unskilled job. I worked in a grocery store bakery in 1996 and the min wage was $5. I made $7.50 as the newbie and the head decorator made $12 an hour and had full health benefits, eye, dental and a retirement, as well as two weeks vacation a year. When I was hired at a grocery store bakery in 2010 to work midnight shifts and a decorator shift here and there I made $$8.50. The manager jumped me one too many times on the sales floor and I finally had it, our last confront was in front of customers and at a volume that I can say was quite loud. Over my shoes. She was a mindless drone that only followed corporate and could care less about the employees, only the numbers. She would probably work you 7 days a week and tell you how it's sucked, but there isn't anything SHE could do about it...............

Anyway, I applied to a donut shop that was about to open in my town (western Pa) and was told that since we were in xxxxx town that starting wages for everyone were min. wage. Geez, when were living expenses free??

I have over 20 years professional experience, college degrees (a BS AND Assoc.) and a Culinary Degree with high honors and I was told straight faced that I am worth the same as a 16 year old unskilled counter girl. I turned the job down. It's cheaper to stay at home and be frugal than accept that. That shop has had three ads in the paper for employees in the 6 months that the doors have been open.

The sad thing is, this town is very expensive to live in, it's a university town and most people with low-wage jobs DON'T live in town, but have to commute from more rural towns where it is cheaper to live.

Carmijok said it right with "Trust me, the store managers want to keep their operating costs down so they will look good to the corporation and no doubt secure bonuses for themselves for running such an 'efficient' operation. " Amen.

You do need to look elsewhere, but just make sure it isn't worse before you quit. Or you could leverage and try to get more $$$$$ from your job and threaten to quit, but be sure you have something first. That game sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

Tami icon_smile.gif

mommy1st Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the words of support. I am suppose to get some help starting Monday. She has a basic idea of decorating, but very interested. I will take what help I can get. I did tell my manager, that we need to find out what is going on with the other decorator out on leave, as if she doesn't plan on coming back soon, they need to find some one who knows what they are doing. Keep your fingers crossed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%