How Do I Get This Deep Red Without It Tasting Bad?

Decorating By Harmonycakes Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm by Treena

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 5

A client is inquiring about this cake, she loves this red color, I just worry about the taste because red is so gross. anyone have any thoughts on how I can acheive this color without tarnishing the flavor? Ive been trying to attach a picture and its not working, its almost a blood red, and it covers the entire cake. help please?

4 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 5

You can use Wilton's No Taste Red or Americolor Super Red. I love the Super Red the best but, if all else fails the Wilton will work.
evelyn

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 5

To get a deep red I usually add a tiny bit of black. I love a deep, dark red and so it works for me!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 5

Are you talking about the frosting? Or the cake? Because if it's buttercream and highly colored I layer my regular buttercream on and when it's hardened in the refrigerator, I add my colored layer last so as not to have that yucky food color taste throughout the frosting.

As far as deep red, I've used Americolor red and combined it with Americolor maroon...but not too much as it deepens it and a little goes a long way.

Treena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Treena Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 5

One other suggestion is to mix the coloring in the day before because the color will darken as it rests.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%