Kitchen Rental Pricing

Business By sweeteats0919 Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 6:40pm by sweeteats0919

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 6

I finally found a kitchen to rent that is close to my home. I have to submit a proposal to the board stating who I am, what I want to do, and also how much I want to pay. The lady I spoke with said that the board would rather rent to me on set days of every week. So I will be paying for the space whether I use it or not. I will need to set hours that I will use it. I will be buying my own refrigerator to keep on location to use and they will give me some storage space for my cake pans and other supplies. The lady I spoke with said that I could propose starting at a lower rate for the first six months and then increasing my rent.

My questions are how much should I tell them I am willing to pay? How do I start getting business before I open so that I am not paying for a kitchen I am not using? Any advice would be appreciated!

5 replies
RebelsLGB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelsLGB Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 6

it might vary by location, I'm in NJ and I found a kitchen that rents for $20/hr. Not sure if that's helpful or not.

sweeteats0919 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 6

I know that 20 dollar an hour is about average however I am wondering if I should lowball them a bit and see if I can get a better price.

RebelsLGB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelsLGB Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 6

Maybe since you are paying them weather you use the kitchen or not, you could use that are a bargaining chip to get a lower rent. You are garunteeing them the income, and won't always be using up the resources, that seems reasonable to me.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 6

Based on your pricing you should be able to calculate the max rent you can pay and still make a decent profit without raising prices, you can probably start the negotiation at 60-70% of that figure.

BTW renting by the day is usually considerably cheaper than renting by the hour.

sweeteats0919 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 6

Does anyone have any tips for drumming up some business before actually starting or once I do start?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%