Shipping Cake Pops?

Baking By sweetretreats Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 3:53pm by luvscakes

sweetretreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetretreats Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:58am
post #1 of 9

I have recentlly started making cake pops. I have some customers that would like me to ship them. Does anyone know how to package them to be shipped?

8 replies
EricasCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricasCakeCreations Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:22am
post #2 of 9

I bought a book that tells you everything you need to know about cake pops. It's awesome. The book said to wrap each pop individually in treat bags. Then just put them in a box. Don't put them on top of eachother. Where there are spaces, put tissue paper so they don't move around.
Hope I helped!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:15am
post #3 of 9

If you ship them across state lines, you must have an FDA license. If you don't and get caught, it's a federal offense with major fines. Your state dept of ag will have the requirements and application. Since 9/11, shipping any kind of food is a serious issue with the Feds, requiring registation with the Bioterrorism Act.

Rach82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach82 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 9

Hi

I have posted cake pops over here. I use lots of bubble wrap on the bottom & on top of the cake pops, making sure it goes down the sides & inbetween if there's enough space. They have arrived fine packaged this way. hth

Rach

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 9

Oh, scp1127, I did NOT know that! I was planning on shipping items to my daughter in TX. Her husband is in Iraq at the moment and was planning on shipping a box overseas. Thanks for the info!

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

If you ship them across state lines, you must have an FDA license. If you don't and get caught, it's a federal offense with major fines. Your state dept of ag will have the requirements and application. Since 9/11, shipping any kind of food is a serious issue with the Feds, requiring registation with the Bioterrorism Act.

What kind of FDA license? There is a major cake pop maker near me and he ships all over the place.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 9

knlcox, you can ship personally all you want, you just can't charge money for it.

fsinger84, it is an involved process. I built my kitchen to FDA specs so that I had the option. Besides the requirements like any national chain restaurant on the buildout, it must not be your home kitchen. A recall protocol must be in place (completely operational with all ingredient sources and serial numbers), all recipes must be analyzed by a licensed company ($125 to $200 per recipe), they must bear a FDA approved nutritional label bearing that analysis, all daily output must be recorded on their logs for their indicated period of time. Failure to keep the logs results in a per diem fine which is costly. This is how they add up the fines so quickly. I'm can't remember, but I think the logs must be kept for between three to six months. If the fines were (guess) $500 daily, this will not be pretty. It's like the IRS. the fines are so prohibitive, you want to be in compliance.

All of this information is in the free packet from your Dept of Ag.

I know floor drains are a requirement, so if you didn't build for that, you can't get a license. Most commercial and retail establishments will have no problem meeting the requirements. They also outline the food safety requirements. That is why the cost is so high to ship. Look at places like Williams-Sonoma. They have the proper shipping. They ship cakes and cupcakes, plus all kinds of pastries.

Edit: I edit for typos only. I have an old wrist injury and I tend to not hit the keys hard enough, and my left hand is slower.

PinkSuga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkSuga Posted 25 May 2014 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 9

AHi I'm sending some pops to a family member for a birthday present I just wanted to know if you overnighted them or had any specialty packaging for them?

Original message sent by Rach82

Hi

I have posted cake pops over here. I use lots of bubble wrap on the bottom & on top of the cake pops, making sure it goes down the sides & inbetween if there's enough space. They have arrived fine packaged this way. hth

Rach

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 9

AI wonder if it is different for different states? I just opened my shop ( and kitchen) and the Dept of AG that I report to said I am A-ok to ship any products anywhere with my licensing. It was no nearly as involved as you describe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%